Saturday, April 5, 2014

Revelation #332

Like a city whose walls are broken through
    is a person who lacks self-control.  Proverbs 25:28  (NIV)

While perusing through hundreds of knitting patterns today, I had a revelation:  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I could hear Jay saying this to me...as an example...just because you can knit doesn't mean that everyone wants something you've knitted.  He's not being mean.  He's being honest.  There are lots of items out there I could knit, but wowza - some of them are way out there.

Just a few days ago, my daughter posted a picture of me on Facebook holding one of my new knitting tools - a Styrofoam head.  I commented on the picture that I was going to knit her prom dress and it should be done in about three years.  Of course, I was joking (for the most part - I would never do such a thing - most likely), but it occurred to me today when I was seeing some real random knitting patterns - I could actually knit Madolyn a prom dress.  I have no doubt I could figure it out, and in three years, have a completed dress (and who knows, in three years, a knitted formal could be 'in'), but I'm not planning on it.

Another silly example is the cartwheel.  A few years ago, I was watching Madolyn do gymnastics tricks in the house and I decided to show her my stuff.  Good-ness.  Not. A. Good. Idea. At. All.  Not only were my muscles out of shape, my equilibrium was/is way off.  It nearly wiped me out.  I did the cartwheel...but I should not have and don't plan to try it again anytime soon.  Silly.  I paid for that one for a few days.

Many, many times I have started to reply to someone either by e-mail or on Facebook, I've had the right answer (mine, of course) typed out that would solve all things, big or small...and then I deleted it.  Yes, I think my solution is correct...but someone else may not.

The same is true when I hear or read something I know to be false or somewhat misleading...based on knowledge acquired through my work.  Just last week, I had to say to a friend, "I can't really comment on that."  Oh, I could have and wanted to, but I'm not supposed to.  And there is a very fine line, I've discovered unfortunately, between me voicing my personal opinion about a situation, and someone assuming that I'm spewing facts from the courtroom.  It can be very tricky.  I have to really think about what I say before I say it (or try to hopefully).  I've even found myself thinking, it's not fair that I can't say what I want to say for fear someone else may think I'm divulging privileged information...but it is what it is.  And really, most of it boils down to that g word we hate - gossip - anyway so it's best left unsaid, regardless.  It goes back to the same principle - just because I can doesn't mean I should.

I have tried many times in my life to use the I-can-if-I-want-to philosophy...and it never seems to work out. Immediately coming to mind is eating an entire package of Oreo's, Thin Mint's, an entire sheet cake, staying up into the wee hours of the morning to knit, read or watch movies, etc.  It may be good at the time, but the consequence is not so enjoyable.

I could go on and on with serious and silly examples of where this revelation comes into play.  We might raise Alpacas and Llamas some day..yes, then I could learn to spin the wool into beautiful yarn. Theoretically, we could...but it doesn't mean we have to.



1 comment:

Kathy said...

OH girl, so true. And when you want to share, but can't locally, you know I'd LOVE to be a sounding board. Always. I miss you!