So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31 (NIV)
I watched a video recently from my former youth leader on Excellence. Man alive, I felt like he had reached into my brain and pulled out some of my own thoughts. And I didn't know what label to put on those thoughts, but once I watched the video, I thought, yes, this is it. We don't strive for excellence anymore.
Excellence not as in a matter of perfection. Excellence as in excelling and doing what you can do the best you can do. All. The. Time.
And more importantly, even when no one is looking.
We used this same video as our youth lesson last week, and I don't know about the kids, but I thought it was a good topic. Here are a few points we hit on:
There are so many reasons why we should strive to do our best all the time, one of which is because we don't know who may be watching. This can apply to the young and old, applying for jobs or scholarships, in parenting situations, etc. Our actions reflect who we are and what we are good at. If I'm never willing to go the extra mile, am I going to be invited to participate in an extraordinary opportunity? Will they pick me for that scholarship even though I am lazy, I didn't apply myself in school and wasn't a part of any club or activity?
Maybe you're not the best at basketball, but you're really good at the scholastic bowl. Being a part of a club or activity outside of those that are required shows you have gumption and are willing to take direction, participate and work with others, etc. You are goal-oriented and ambitious.
Now, on the flip-side, if you join a club or team only because you think it will make you look good, and then don't participate, are absent from the meetings or games, put forth little effort when you are there, are negative or disrespectful, you will find the opposite result. Someone will notice you, all right, but it won't be for the good.
The same is true for an adult, and I'm often guilty of this. Will you be on this committee? Sure. And then I don't give 100% to the committee or its members. I did what I thought was expected and said yes. I come when it's convenient. Isn't that enough? Well, it just may be...and the next time they need a new member, they will look the other way.
I feel this way a lot in my parenting. Lane or Madolyn will ask me to do something with them that I really don't want to do...but to pacify my child, I do it...about 50 percent. Meaning, I am watching TV out of the corner of my eye, or texting someone with one hand and rolling dice with another. I'm there, but not really there. I'm interacting but only as much as I have to. I'm setting a horrible example...do whatever you have to do to get by.
This week it finally hit me that I really need to apply this lesson to myself. I may not be super happy with my work right now, but regardless, I need to be the best secretary/court reporter I can be. Do I want to be a secretary? Not necessarily, but at this point, my job is just that: about 75% secretary 25% court reporter. I truly believe God called me here; consequently, here, at this time in my life, is where I will be...and will strive to do my best at what I'm given.
If you go to my Facebook timeline, the Excellence video should be on there because I shared it on Tuesday. I don't know if everyone can see it, but give it a try and let me know.
As you go about your mundane activities "or whatever you do" this week, strive for excellence.
2 comments:
And this was an excellent post!
I'm sorry about work, but your perspective/attitude is awesome. I wish I was back there sometimes, IMing you and chatting during the slow times. I miss you, Friend.
Post a Comment