Friday, May 31, 2013

Giant City Adventures Part I

A few years ago we started sort of a family tradition and around Memorial Day weekend or on Memorial Day (because that was the day Jay usually had off) we would take off and head to southern Illinois for some exploring.

The first year we hit Garden of Gods, Cave-in Rock, Rim Rock, Elizabethtown and had a great time.  Last year we went to the Little Grand Canyon and the Potomac Natural Bridge (I wrote about them).  Twice we have stopped at Giant City State Park just south of Carbondale, but have never really explored there.  That was our destination this year. 


Lodge
Cabin #12










We drove down after I got off work on Friday evening and spent the night in one of the cabins at Giant City State park.  It's too bad we weren't able to get down there earlier in the evening because it was beautiful out, but by the time we got there and checked in, we were ready for bed.  The Lodge is the central point of the park and the cabins are located nearby.  Inside the lodge is a gift shop, restaurant, front desk and then a large sitting area (two-levels) with a fire place, checker boards, etc.  I bet it is quite cozy in the wintertime with a big fire blazing.
Checkers inside the lodge

Interesting sidenote, Giant City State park was built by CCC workers (Civilian Conservation Corps), my grandpa was a part of those camps so I had to take a picture of Madolyn next to the statute as a tribute to grandpa.

After climbing the giant look-out tower and nearly killing myself on those 86 steps (should've stretched the calves - major mistake), we were ready to eat and the lodge restaurant was open for breakfast.  We ate a big and delicious breakfast and headed out for the first trail.  From everything I've read about the restaurant inside the lodge, their fried chicken dinner is scrumptious.  Unfortunately, we weren't planning on being there around lunchtime so we enjoyed their breakfast.
At the start of our first hike, I tried to take a group photo using the hood of my truck and the timing feature on the camera.  The picture I took as a test photo turned out better, but I wasn't in it...and the point of the whole exercise was to get a picture of all of us.  So here is the blurry picture of all four of us...and the hood of my truck.

There were several trails at Giant City park and we did about one-third of them.  We knew we wanted to do some other things so we picked out a few of the trails and skipped the others.  Thankfully, the weather was nice and it wasn't too hot. In preparation of our little excursion, Jay and the kids had went to Sam's and bought some fancy backpacks with drink packs.  It was a pretty handle little get-up.  Lane filled his with water and Madolyn filled her pack with Mountain Dew.  The healthier choice.  If it had been warmer, like it was a couple years ago, we would have drained those packs no matter what they were filled with.  Check out Lane's hiking attire.  Pretty snazzy, huh?  Jay told him to wear thick socks. so he wore his hunting socks.  He said his feet never got cold.

I think my family likes to freak me out.  I've figured out that I am fine with climbing rocks and such, but watching other people (my kids) is more than I can take.  At times I simply cannot look.  They think this is super funny and take every opportunity to cause me distress.  In these next few photos, Madolyn is way up in the air on a ledge by a tree.  You can't tell from these pictures, but it was extreme from my view point...and dangerous...and stupid...and they thought it was great.
Jay looking at Madolyn
I took lots and lots of pictures.  The scenery is so amazing and some of the pictures don't do it justice. We did a lot of climbing and exploring around large rock formations.  As you can see, the rocks have enough pits and ledges that climbing isn't super difficult. (If it were, I wouldn't be doing it.)
 



 
Are these rocks cool or what?
You just have to visit Southern Illinois and see the beauty for yourself.
At one point, we were separated from the kids.  It concerned Jay; I wasn't terribly worried.  While he tried to figure out where they were, I sat down for a few and took a self portrait by holding the camera with my feet and using the timer.  Pretty crafty, huh?  I just wanted you to know I was actually out on the trails. 
 
to be continued...
 
 

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Awesome pix! It's so beautiful down there! And your red hood is lovely too. ;-)