Last week I got that dreaded text. You know the kind that shocks you, that you just do not believe. It wasn't bad necessarily, but it went something like this, "U will not believe what ur son did." (Oh no, here it comes.) Guess who that was from? My daughter, who was basking in the light. Finally, it was her moment to shine. My sweet little man did something stupid and she was all about telling me.
A few texts back and forth and I was consumed by his senselessness. It was a pit in my stomach. Over and over I had those recurring thoughts of: "What was he thinking?" "I can't believe he would do something like that." "How bad is it really?" And a few times the hopeful: "Maybe his sister is exaggerating."
Thankfully, his sister was exaggerating a little. What he did was wrong and senseless and dumb and many other things, but it was certainly not going to be the end of the world. He had, for whatever reason, cut a cute little girl's hair. Ridiculous. Madolyn made it sound like he had chopped every hair on the kid's head off. It is noticeable, but not quite as bad as I envisioned after Madolyn's description (I later learned she hadn't even seen it). I'm not trying to justify or minimize his actions either...He is nine years old. He should KNOW BETTER THAN THAT. Isn't this what little girls do???
I texted Jay and alerted him to the situation. We talked to each other and decided that Lane would have to call the mother of the recently made-over recipient and apologize. We knew it would kill him too because he is sort of shy about things like that. I figured we would be met with great resistance when we told him he had to do this.
Again, he surprised me and immediately took the phone and made the call. I couldn't help myself and I stood outside his bedroom. I was still uncertain of whether he would actually spit out the apology. He did. I was proud of him. I wasn't proud of what he had done, I was proud that he owned it and apologized. He had redeemed himself...a little.
It certainly was one of those mother moments I try to avoid. You know, that moment when that thing your kid wouldn't do, they just did. Two weeks ago, if someone would have told me, "Your son cut so and so's hair," I would've said, "No way, he knows better than that." Uh-huh. It's moments like this, that really put me in my place.
1 comment:
OMGosh, how am I just now hearing about this?! LOL!
Post a Comment