Monday, June 3, 2013

Giant City Adventures Part II

After finishing up our Giant City Park trails, we decided to head out and see the Bald Knob Cross of Peace at Alto Pass, Illinois.  It is literally out in the middle of nowhere.  I must tell you when you're traveling in these parts, there is no straight shot anywhere.  There are winding, curvy, hilly roads running all directions.  It's silly.  But eventually, if you're patient and persistent, you get where you're going.  Thankfully, there was a visitor center at the cross...with bathrooms! 

This cross sits on the top of a very large hill, and the view from it is spectacular.  You could even see (way off in the distance) the bridge crossing the river into Cape Girardeau, MO, which was where we were headed next.  It's just a matter of getting from point A to point B.  Why were we wanting to cross into Missouri?  To go to Lambert's in Sikeston, of course!  We can't seem to make the trip without going just a little further for that delicious food.  Plus, after burning all these calories on the trials, you have to maintain your energy levels. 
 
After just under an hour's wait and filling our bellies to the top, we headed north.  When we're down in this area, the other stop we must make is at the cemetery of my grandpa and grandma Lynch in Ullin, Illinois.  We checked out the stones and made sure they were ship-shape.   And they were. 
 
Back onto the interstate.  I was driving at this point and my belly was so full, I felt like I needed to move.  So after a couple wrong turns, (Jay was trying to sleep), we made it over to our favorite place ever, the Garden of Gods.
Mad is the pink dot.
Jay is the blue dot!
It is so beautiful here with all the greenery.  We have got to go back sometime in the fall because I bet it is also gorgeous with the fall colors. 
 
Again, my family cannot resist freaking me out and I was a nervous nelly. It's terrible. Jay kept saying, "You are the one that wanted to come here!" (Yes, I know that, but I cannot handle them hopping rocks and crevices. It makes my tummy turn!!)
 
These people that are my family, they're fearless.  I'm glad for them.  I try to be a good sport, but it tears me up watching them hop, skip and jump all over the place.  I kept reminding them there will be no survivors should they fall.
 
As you can see, I kept my feet firmly planted on the ground.


No comments: