Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Cleaver's



A while back, we shut off our Dish Network cable television and got an antenna hooked up so we could receive local stations.  We also decided to try out Netflix.  Our internet connection is very fast and after a month's free trial, we found it worked real well and gave us another option to the local stations.

Leave It to BeaverWe have recently discovered the "Leave it to Beaver" series is on Netflix and I 'forced' Lane to watch the first episode.  He thought the first episode was okay and we watched the next one.  About 15 episodes later, I think we have us a Beaver Cleaver fan.

I had forgotten how funny those shows were.  They are funny, but not cheesy.  Clean, but real.  The Cleaver's dealt with kids who made mistakes, told tales, tried to hide stuff (like a pet alligator in the toilet) etc.  Although television is very different than it was back when Leave it to Beaver was on, kids are much the same.  I see the biggest difference as the family scenario.

Mom is at home, and dad is out working.   (I'm a working mother so I'm not badmouthing working mom's at all, but it makes you wonder.)  There is a meal on the table every evening and they eat that meal as a family.  They have boundaries, rules and responsibilities.  The kids are not self-parenting.  They have two parents at home who are parenting together and preparing their kids for the world.  I even heard June telling the Beaver that God was always there, always watching even when we think he isn't...how 'about that?!

As I have been watching, I noticed that when June and Ward themselves did something wrong, they owned up to it.  They didn't make excuses, they dealt with it.  I see that every now and then, even though the Cleaver's want Wally and Beaver to earn something on their own or follow through with a decision they made, Ward and June jump in and help them out.  They are big on teachable moments, but also compassionate in their teaching and discipline.  I like how they sit Wally and Beaver down to explain decisions and consequences, they don't just scream at them, ground them and then send them to their room. 

I love how they are allowed to explore the world around them on their own (within reason).  You know, those good old days where the kids left the house in the morning on their bikes, played with friends and returned for supper - or whenever it got dark.  Kids were allowed to be kids.  They got into a little mischief, they got dirty, they did things parents wouldn't want to know about until after the fact.  There weren't cell phones so there was no texting or calling to check in.  Mom and Dad said to be home at a certain time and you were home or else.  There weren't the harmful influences we have today...they just had different ones.  (Remember Eddie Haskell?!)

I realize "Leave it to Beaver" is a television show and is make-believe, a fairy-tale world...but sometimes I wish it were our reality.  Honestly though, I'm wondering if my two children could ever share a bike...

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Could not agree more. I appreciate that the feminist movement gave us choices, but then bad economic management by the government seems to have almost taken away our choice to stay home. Most families have to have a double income to provide well for their families. Bring back the Cleaver days!