Thursday, May 9, 2013

Green thumb

As is customary, Jay has been researching a new project for the family.   We need something else to do in our spare time.  Wilhoit Family Project Take 85 - a garden - is now in progress.  We have tried in the past to have a garden...clay-like soil and roaming animals made it nearly impossible and we gave up.  For the last couple years, I have attempted to grow the cherry-grape tomatoes using the topsy-turvy or even just a simple planter.  Last year was successful with the topsy-turvy, and Grandma Great enjoyed cherry tomatoes all summer long.

Jay thinks we should have a garden and teach our children how to can our own vegetables.  But first, we need to learn how to do it.  I have assisted others in the canning process many years ago, but could not do it on my own.  We also need to buy some supplies.  I have one glass jar in the cabinet that I acquired somehow, but I am hoping to need more than one jar.

Jay had been researching pressure cookers on-line, and then a couple days later, the Boston Marathon bombing occurred so I think he's a little hesitant to continue the search for the best pressure cooker.  (Who would've thought something so innocent could be used for something so violent and malicious?)  Anyway, getting back to the point, the garden...and the supplies.

Last week he purchased the plants to put in the garden and they're waiting on the deep freezer in the garage for transplant to the garden.  And if it would quit raining anytime soon, (I know, I know, we will be begging for it later) they will make the move...hopefully, before they shrivel up and die (which has happened before).

This is supposed to be a family project...where we all participate in the planting, weeding and maintenance of the garden.  Madolyn will only help if there are watermelon.  I haven't asked Lane yet, but he's usually game for this type of stuff. 

We are getting 'barn' cats soon for the first time ever.  We are a little concerned about them using the barn for a potty.  I'm not sure how you train them to go elsewhere.  (Apparently cat waste in the barn is much worse than pig waste?)  Jay wants to put straw down in the garden after we plant the veggies to keep the moisture in the soil.  Hmm, think the cats will notice? 

The area of the yard where he has prepared the soil for the garden is between the barn and the pond.  Perfect.  It's also the area of the yard where they let the pigs loose to roam and run.  Also perfect.  Who needs a tiller when you have rooting pigs?  I think this garden thing is going to be great.

No comments: