I've taken the plunge and upgraded my cell phone. I really had no intention of doing this so soon, but it was one of those deals I just couldn't pass up. I went in the store asking about upgrading Jay's phone. He has wanted a 'smart' phone for over a year now and he was ready to make the switch. Unfortunately, because of people 'out there' who don't pay their bills, who get mad and change coverage without telling another person on their bill, etc, you can only have one name on the account. My name is on the account so he can't do anything without my signature. It's very frustrating and drives us both crazy. However, he doesn't want it in his name because then he'll have to deal with everything on his own so it stays in my name.
So I went in to inquire about the phone and how much it would increase our monthly service fee, etc. I had a question about getting a new phone too, although I did NOT want a fancy phone. My phone had been double lettering and not spacing when I wanted it to. It was getting to be frustrating and embarrassing because some of my texts that went out were awful to read! I was adamant that I wanted a keyboard. I'm a button-type of person. I like buttons. I love my Nook, but I don't care for touch screens where you would be typing much. I can handle touching a few buttons here and there, but I did not want a touchscreen keyboard. Not doing it.
I returned the following day to sign the paperwork so that Jay could come after work and get his phone all fixed up and ready to go. While I was in there, I inquired again about me getting a new phone because of the problems I was having. Because it a brand new store, there were some extra management team members in there, one who overheard my plea for a real keyboard. He started inquiring and kind of half-teased me about the new technology, keyboards were on their way out (they only have two phones with them now), and that I would adjust and get used to it. And since Jay was upgrading the plan, adding two more phones to the fanciness wasn't going to be any extra.
I told them I would think about it and come back in later with Jay. As I was walking out of the store clinging to my prized slide-out keyboard cell phone that won't work properly, I found myself laughing. I texted Jay and told him that I was going to consider the new fancy phone. I explained to him what the people in the store told me, and that it occurred to me, upon leaving the store, how much I had sounded like the Quackdaddy just then.
I was standing there at the counter pleading my case for a 'real' keyboard, resisting change, ignoring technology, refusing to adapt...and realized that I can butt the system all I want, but the system is not going to stop for me. They aren't going to start mass producing slide-out keyboard phones because Sarah wants them when the majority of the population prefers the touch screen. I either join the craze and adapt or struggle through repeated letters and no spaces on my slide-out keyboard.
I walked out of the store that evening with a penny 'smart' phone. Although I could not figure out how to end a call, answer a call or silence a ring for the first week, I think I have those three features down. It's quite an adjustment, but I'm working through it. I must say I miss my buttons like I thought I would. I do not find the touch screen keyboard easier to maneuver, I still make mistakes and have to go back, but the fancy features are nice.
I have made Jay promise to be my accountability partner in this though. I really, really don't want to have my head down and playing on my phone everywhere I go. I must admit it is so tempting. I have only allowed myself to download one game (Mahjong), the Nook app and MyFitnessPal app so far. I must remain strong...stronger than I was in the cellular phone store anyway...
No comments:
Post a Comment