I've talked about the Skit Guys before several times. I love their stuff. This happens to be a favorite among the youth over the past several years. It does have a point that goes along with it for purposes of teaching, but right now I'm going to use it as a metaphor for how I feel about running. (Take the time to watch it because it really is hilarious and I can so relate.)
http://skitguys.com/videos/item/never-runners
Yeah, that basically sums it up for me. I have tried since January 2 to do this running thing. I feel like I have given it an honest, determined effort. And although I'm not completely ready to throw in the towel, I'm getting fairly close. I kind of like the idea of being on a golf cart, racing up next to a runner and giving them a swift kick...okay, just kidding, I would never do that...most likely.
I read blogs, I talk to people, and I don't get it. How can all of these people love running so much and I hate it so much? I have come to the conclusion (brace yourselves for this one) that it's okay that I don't love running even though so many others seems to. It is okay that Jay loves to run, run, run and that I would rather walk, walk, walk...or ride. It is okay that I see friends running 5k's and talking about how great it feels to accomplish that goal and I would rather cheer them on at the finish line or walk it instead. It is okay that I do not enjoy running.
Because I do enjoy walking. In fact, I love walking. I realize that runners may say this is an excuse for laziness. I disagree. If I said I hated running and did nothing, maybe. But I don't. I have walked pretty faithfully since 1997 when I started working in Lawrenceville. There have been only a handful of times since then that I fell off my walking wagon, but they have been very few and far between.
I made this serious attempt at running because I had never really tried. I really, really hoped I would come to love it. I don't. And it has made me feel like a failure or that people will think less of me, or think I'm a quitter. Last night I decided that is silly. Why am I doing this to myself? For others? That is ridiculous. The point of exercise is for health and mind...in my opinion. I have never dreaded taking a big walk...ever. I look forward to it. I love the peace. I love being out in the air, feeling the sun, smelling the outdoors. I love talking to God on the walk. I love how it makes me feel.
The only high points for me on the running so far: it burns more calories and occasionally I do feel good when I'm done (but only in the early part when I was running in five minute increments).
I began this silliness on the treadmill in the basement since it was winter, and I could read, which is about the only way I can stand to be on a treadmill. Not even watching the television keeps me distracted enough on that thing. I thought that when it was nice enough to run outside, that would be the thing that pushed me over the edge...where I finally would gain that strong liking to this whole running experience, but my first attempt nearly resulted in me passing out. I cannot figure out the breathing pattern (which I know sounds completely ridiculous), and I was pretty sure I might hyperventilate the entire time. Jay said I was blue and he asked me if I was dying. Nope, not yet. (I'm starting to wonder if that is his plan.)
I tried again last week and it was okay, but again, there wasn't that "Oh, this is such a great feeling" realization washing over me. I did a little interval training and felt decent afterwards. I've read that is good for you. I may try and stick with something like walking five minutes, running five and repeating that a couple times. That way I'm burning more calories and also not in complete and total misery (or feeling the intense desire to trip Jay...only kidding, of course).
Jay and I are signed up for a 5k in late April. I have been told this particular 5k is a fun, very laid-back event. Although I'm still unsure about my ability to run/jog the entire 3.1 miles, at this point I'm going to try it. Jay will just have to wait for me at the finish line...with a stretcher.
1 comment:
Oh how I dearly LOVE this post. It IS okay that I never enjoyed it, durn it! I need to think more like that too. (And I'm prolly gonna have to share that video--hahahaha!)
Post a Comment