| "Black" morel |
We did, however, find five at the end of our driveway near the bank of the creek a few days back. Funny thing, we had never noticed them there until two years ago when we moved the fence for the cows to the other side of the creek. At some point after moving the fence, I was down at the end of the driveway after with the kiddos and was astonished to look down and find a handful of mushrooms. It was super exciting!
I have many, many memories of hunting for mushrooms behind my grandparents farm and also at various places around our neck of the woods. I know that they need warmth and moisture and they like to be around dead Elm trees. In researching a little on the morel, I see that they really can be found near many different deciduous trees. In my hunting experiences, the thing that sticks out most to me is finding that dead tree. I like to perch myself on the dead tree, scrunch down and search the area. I know that way I am not smashing the mushrooms.
| "Longneck" morel |
Fun fact: Did you know that grizzly bears in Yellowstone National Park love to eat black morels?!
| "Yellow" morel |
I remember several years ago (maybe before Madolyn even), it was pouring down rain and the Quackdaddy wanted to go check out a 'patch' that did well in the rain. Off we went. People, we found loads and loads of mushrooms, but we were absolutely saturated from the downpour. Soaked to the bone. I hate being wet like that, but you know what, it is now a great memory, and I'm thinking that was the last time I have encountered such a huge find.
It's funny when we go out now as a family that I hear myself giving my children the same instruction my father, the Quack, gave my brother and I (and Jay later on). Here are just a few of that Quackdaddy's Mushroom Hunting Tips that come to mind...as I am sitting in front of a computer and not on the edge of a woods:
First of all, upon entering the woods, you need to get yourself a strong walking/pointing stick. You can use it to lift up leaves and also it helps keep your balance (I need this more and more as I age). Second, if you find one, whistle, thereby alerting your partners of your score which allows them to come over and locate the first fruit (acclimating their eyes to what we should be focusing on.) Third, when there is one, there is another. You rarely find just one mushroom. Fourth, don't pull the roots out when picking the mushroom. Pinch the morel off just above the ground. (I really have no idea if there is any truth to this, but I guess it's so they will continue to seed and grow?) Fifth, never, ever tell anyone where your patch is. (Good thought, but when you're meeting people in the woods, it's probably a good indicator they already know about the super-secret patch.)
I've heard there are people who love to hunt for mushrooms, but refuse to eat them. Hmm, I never have that problem. My kids would be in that category now, but I bet some day they will eat them. We do the usual routine: soak them in salt water overnight, rinse them off (you gotta get the critters off and hopefully the salt killed them), cut them in half (either before or after soaking), dip them in a beaten egg, shake in flour and fry. Oh yummy. My mouth is watering.
I would love to take my kids out and really hit the jackpot just once. First, we need to actually make the time to do it though. Maybe this evening will be good for a little excursion. As I said, my mouth is watering just thinking about them...
1 comment:
I make them just like you do! I always cut them open before soaking though because to me it's easier (they're still stiff?). Now my mouth is watering and I hope we're FINALLY able to get out in the woods this Saturday.
Post a Comment