There were about a dozen kiddos there and one little gal who had never been to our house before. Right off the bat, she was introduced to the pigs. It was funny because the first one she saw was Ruby Sue, the very big, although dog-like, sow in the outside pen. I could hear her over there giggling with her older cousin as they watched big 'ole Ruby Sue.
When they came back over to the fire, I had the two girls follow me into the barn to see the big baby pigs. There are five of them and she thought they were pretty funny too. Then I sent them in the direction of the garage (yes, the garage) for the next showing...12 baby Duroc piglets.
| 12 very strange-behaving Duroc babies. Won't look at you, they'd rather freeze & stare at the wall. |
However, thus far, in our attached garage, we have bottle-fed calves, had a litter of pups born, observed hens laying eggs on the freezer and trunk of my car, had a birthing center for goats, seen the aftereffects of a horrific cat fight on the top of my Mountaineer (something akin to an MMA fighting match between a Tomcat and our Meepie) and we've had two different pens of baby pigs. Someone mentioned horses in this conversation...and although I can't recall a time when I know a horse has been in the garage, I wouldn't say it hasn't happened. Woody used to roam around the yard with pretty free reign a couple years ago. I wouldn't put it past him at all.
In our senior year book prophecy (that someone else wrote), it says something close to this: "Jay and Sarah live on a ranch in Martinsville and Sarah is the court reporter at the Clark County Courthouse." Funny to read that now because it's not too far-fetched.
No, I never thought I would have 12 baby pigs in my garage, but I've learned when you're married to Jay, nothing is out of the question. He keeps me on my toes and life here is definitely not boring. I never know what's going to happen next. I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't raising zebras some time in the future. Ahh, the American dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment