Friday, April 12, 2013

Then do something

Today in the truck, I was reflecting on a conversation I just recently had with a couple of people about a group that is working so very hard in our community to better our town.  It got me thinking...

I guess there are a few in our little town that think certain projects being pursued are not necessary, ridiculous and/or a waste of money.  That's fine.  You are entitled to your opinions.  And some of those people don't want to support any type of fundraiser where the proceeds may go to a particular project because they don't like the idea.  Okay, you have that right.  Save your money.

And regardless of how I feel about the project(s) that are being pursued, here is my argument on the subject matter...just in case anyone cares or wants to know :)  If you think we need X or Y to improve our community, then do something.  Form a committee, draw up the plans, get the fundraising together and go for it. 

It is only natural that not everyone will agree on the same ideas, but just seeing the community come together and try to make our little town a better place is worth it to me.  And you never know what one project might lead to down the road, once the momentum gets going.  Maybe it's not what you think needs to be done, but don't badmouth the effort and hard work of those trying to improve the community.  I believe great things are in store for Martinsville and it will take many people to make those things happen.  Support the overall cause and do something.

**And just to be clear, I'm not on any of the committees associated with Martinsville on the Move.  I simply support their efforts and applaud them for their devotion to our community.**