Saturday, April 13, 2013

50 Shades of Green

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!  2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)

Ha, no, I'm not talking about that book that everyone has read...I'm talking about my drive home from work on Thursday.  How many shades of green did I see?  Seems like at least 50!

I tell you, it was like I had been asleep in a cave or something.  As I started home, even in the drizzling rain, I was amazed at the various shades of green popping out everywhere.  It was absolutely beautiful.  Green to my right, to my left, up, down, in the trees, oh, it was everywhere and I loved it!  Green has always been one of my three favorite colors and seeing all of it the other night just made me smile.  And it was even raining.

Usually if it's cloudy and/or rainy, I'm not in the mood to smile.  But that night I was beaming because of all the verde.  I was thanking God for the warmer temps and even praising him for any rain coming our way because we know what happened last year...which got me thinking...really, we haven't seen much green around here since about June of last year because of the drought.  Maybe that is why those luscious green colors jumped out at me. 

Just looking across a field, I noticed about four different shades of green.  There was a soft, wispy green that kind of frosted the more vibrant green that was lying underneath.  It was almost like I was looking at a painting.  And when you think about it, it really is, with God as the artist behind this masterpiece.

That night right before bed, Jay and I were talking and he mentioned how everything seemed to have brightened up in about 24 hours.  Yes, I am not crazy, I wasn't the only one who seemed to think all this green literally appeared out of nowhere.  Earlier that morning, Madolyn and I were looking out the living room window and we both were shocked at the site of the Bradford Pear tree.  Where did all those blooms come from?  They weren't here yesterday, were they?

I can't help but think of the verse I noted above.  I'm so glad the new creation has come.  I'm so happy the old, dried-up, dead grass is gone and the new vibrant, healthy grass is here.  And I'm thankful to the Lord for the many beautiful shades of green!

No comments: