Friday, October 19, 2012

Time on the toilet

I know right now Jay is freaking out, wondering what in the world this one is going to be about...haha, gotcha.  I just have to tell you about my toilet clock.  Ah yes, interesting...

A while back, grandma was passing things out, cleaning her house and I think she may have been trying to give everyone a clock, although I am not sure, because there are so many.  You see, my grandpa loved clocks and watches.  There were clocks, at least one, in every room...at least one...which means some may have had two or three clocks.  For instance, in their spare bedroom, there was one on the wall and two radio/alarm clocks at each bedside.  There was even a clock in their bathroom...a toilet clock.

The toilet clock now hangs in my bathroom reminding me of how late I am when I'm getting ready to go somewhere.  And now that it's been hanging on the wall a couple of months, I'm realizing something peculiar...it is fast...which makes me laugh because my grandpa had this thing about time and being late.  My grandma likes to say "we got to places before we were invited," and it was true.  My grandma was a Bennett, and we all know that Bennett's like to run a little on the late side...obviously grandpa figured that out somewhere along the line too. 

My grandparent's house is a basic ground floor house with a full basement.  Growing up, most of the day was spent in the basement.  The bedrooms and bathroom were upstairs, but all the activity was downstairs.  Grandma's house had two full kitchens so she could complete meals up or down without having to carry too much stuff from one place to another.

The main clock hung on the south wall of the basement, which was an open floor plan so-to-speak.  It was right where you could see it from about every angle.  That clock was always set at least 15 minutes fast on purpose.  Always.  It cracked me up because us grandkids had to look at the clock and subtract 15 minutes to know what time it "really" was.  Grandpa did this to keep from being late...although I don't really get it...if you know the clock is fast, but anyway...

Although I have tried on two occasions to correct the toilet clock, it returns to its old ways (even with new batteries).  So each morning when I look at the pot on the wall (ha) and it shows that I'm way behind, I have to laugh.  It's like my grandpa is controlling that clock from above.  He knows how I am...

No comments: