So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27 (NIV)
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17 (NIV)
Last night I heard about a middle-aged man committing suicide from a town I used to work in. I didn't know him, but knew who he was. It's shocking. Sunday someone at church mentioned a middle-aged man, a father, committing suicide also. Don't know him or his circumstances either, but he was a father and someone's son.
A few weeks ago a couple we know gave birth to their third baby girl. They knew for a very long time that she was special, and special she is. She has serious health concerns and will be a resident at their hospital's NICU for quite a while. Thankfully, she is in good hands there. She has two healthy siblings at home waiting to be her big sis. Her parents love her the way she is, of course;, wish she were healthier but are taking everything in as it has been given to them. They are thankful to God for their baby girl's life, regardless.
Last week, one morning I was reading a Facebook status from someone excited to meet the newest member of her extended family who was going to be born that day, and then later that evening I read that that precious baby girl was born and quickly whisked away to another hospital to die hours later. They had no idea that her heart was not healthy. She had two fellas waiting at home to be big brothers. Her parents came home empty-handed with heavy hearts. Fortunately, the family has a strong faith base and know that their baby girl is now in the arms of the Heavenly Father. But still the grief...
Someone I went to school with for just a few years in grade school also lost a son last week. His seven-year-old boy was playing kickball at school in the morning and passed away later that night. He had been in and out of the hospital in the past, but his condition remained a mystery. He had trouble breathing, had a fever and was gone. Just like that those parents are attending their young son's funeral.
When I heard about the suicide last night, I was baffled. I've never considered suicide, haven't been to that point or even close. So I know that I cannot understand how someone could get to that point, but wow, it just seems so unbelievable that ending a life is better than living one. As a believer, I know there is hope, a future, grace and mercy, undeserving love and forgiveness. I cannot imagine deciding life is not worth living. How very sad.
When I think of those suicides and then our friends' baby in the NICU with serious health concerns and the families that lost children last week, I don't even know what to think. The main thing that comes to mind is that life is so precious. Why is someone choosing to end their life while others are fighting so hard to live or grieving the loss of a child?
I don't have an answer. I'm at a loss. I pray that you, my friends and family, will never feel your life is not worth living...because God believes it is. He created us in his image, and we are perfect in his sight.
No comments:
Post a Comment