Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Neon Dreams

It is that time of year again.  It is Homecoming week at our high school, and this year's theme is Neon Dreams.  Coronation kicked off the week of festivities last Saturday night.  It was held, for the first time, in the new gym, utilizing the stage, and it was much like it used to be.  I'm excited and hopeful that it will continue to be held in there, with decorations and such on the stage, a little more formal.  With all the changes around our high school, coronation has been on the football field the last year or two and it just didn't seem to have the same amount of excitement to it. 

After the king and queen were crowned and all photos were taken, the celebration continued to the football field where the cheerleaders held their pep rally, making the football team do various relays in front of the crowd.  The finale was the bonfire.  All the kids and onlookers crossed the field to the practice area where the firefighters were lying in wait and the fire was set to blaze.  I think I even heard a few firecrackers once the dummy was lit (wonder who did that..hhhm?). 

This week at the high school, there are dress-up days and other activities going on to keep the momentum going.  Kids will be decorating their floats in the evenings, I'm sure.  My class reunion is this weekend and we'll be working on our float too.  I'm excited for that.  The last reunion we had, we went in with the class above us so we would have more people, and it was a lot of fun.  This year we will celebrate our 19th reunion!  It seems crazy that we've been out that long.

Thursday afternoon, there will be an all-school assembly with fun stuff planned by the student council.   Friday the kids are out of school, which is kind of a bummer, but that's the way it works.  That afternoon at 3:00 the parade will set sail.  That has to be one of my most favorite parts of the whole package.  The Quackdaddy was chosen to be the grand marshall of the parade and we are honored.  Madolyn is a 7th grade attendant so she'll be somewhere along the line in the parade too.  Word on the street is the parade will revert to the 'old route' which begins behind the school and ends in the front.

The Booster Club will host their annual tailgate at the football game with Tenderloin sandwiches & hotdogs beginning at 5:30.  The Booster Club will also have BRAND NEW, hot off the press, royal blue t-shirts and hoodie's for sale!   Several classes will meet in the north end zone for their reunions (including mine, I can't wait).  I saw a poster up in town that mentioned there would be a little Alumni gathering, open to all Alumni, at the Community Center following the parade as well.  Because a game two weeks ago was forfeited, the Spirit Sparklers will be performing their routine during the game too.  It is a busy, but fun-filled evening of events. 

The Bluestreaks won their football game last week against East Central, so hopefully they're on a winning streak and will be ready to fight the Arcola Purple Riders.  Following the game, my daughter will attend her first dance!  Ahhhh.  Which means we have to stay up until 11:30 to come to town to get her.  Ahhhh.

Saturday morning there is an Alumni football game and an Alumni volleyball tournament.  I have a team and we're called the Neon Nightingales.  I know that is totally lame, but it was the best I could come up with...and speaking of lame, that's what I'll be by Saturday night.  Good thing, Monday is Columbus Day and the courthouse is closed!

If you're a Bluestreak and you've got the spirit...join us for Homecoming this week!!  Thank you to the Student Council for working so hard on all the festivities!

No comments: