Monday, October 1, 2012

My crisis par-tay attendees

Have you ever thought who you would want to be stranded on an island with or where you would want to be if a disaster struck?  I was thinking about this a while back and here are just a few people I came up with that I would want with me in the event of a crisis:

First of all, I would definitely want to be at or near my friend's house (can you guess who) because she has a dozen of everything.  Literally.  I'm not joking.  When I helped her move to the house she's in now, I spent most of the day cracking up.  Unpacking her bathroom and laundry supplies was like stocking shelves at the local CVS or Wal-Mart.  I remember distinctly that my kids had never seen so much toothpaste or that many bars of soap in one place before.  (Heck, I'm not sure my kids had ever seen a bar of soap.) 

I wish she lived closer to me because I live seven miles from town and she would be a handy neighbor to have.  I could just stop by her house on the way home instead of the local grocery store because she is the same way with food supplies.  I have heard her say if she doesn't have five jars of spaghetti sauce, as an example, she feels like she's out of it completely.  (I can understand that a little...I have that problem with a few things in my cabinet too.)  I am confident that in a crisis, we would find food in her cabinet.

My friend Beth and I have actually played our own little version of "What Not to Wear" with this gal and it was so fun.  She had multiple pairs of the same clothes because she liked them.  All her shoes are kept in their original boxes.  The best part was that she had a great sense of humor about it so she didn't get offended when we attacked her for having five of something or for keeping a "PASTA" sweatshirt from high school (yeah, it's been a while).  I am fairly sure that in a disaster, there would be enough clothing for everyone.

I love this gal like a sister, and seriously, I do want to be near her in the event of a catastrophe.  She is a one-stop shop.

Also, I think that another friend's seven-year-old son, nicknamed "Bo" by his little sister, would be excellent to have along because of his MacGuyer-like thinking.  Now, he is seven so some of his creations/inventions don't really work, but the thought process is good.  He is a thinker.  I'm certain if I were stranded somewhere, he would come up with something useful.  I have said before in the event of a disaster, "I'm taking that kid with me."

I have this court reporter friend from down south, we'll call her B, that would be a great addition to my little crisis par-tay.  She has been through some pretty crappy stuff and she has such a good spirit.  I would love to hear her southern drawl as she told stories.  She would keep the mood light, for the most part, and make me laugh.  (Actually if I could have the "inner sanctum" from the south, that would be perfect.)

Of course, I would want my family members along.  Jay would help keep me calm, he's pretty good at fixing stuff and he could kill something for us to eat (we are pretty good at that).  Lane could suggest the safest ways to do things and then list all the things that could happen in the event someone didn't follow his safety plan.  Madolyn, with her nail polish collection in tow, would keep our nails and toes looking creative and beautiful.  Hank, he's warm and snugly so he's a no-brainer.  The rest of the farm can stay back home. 

I'm hoping I won't have to implement this crisis par-tay anytime soon, but you're all on notice.  These folks are going with me.


No comments: