It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it. Ecclesiastes 5:5 (NIV)
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. Proverbs 16:3 (NIV)
Lately I have been bombarded with devotionals and readings about over-commitment. In the past, I would read them and think oh, yes, yes, but that's not for me. Now, I'm thinking maybe they are meant for me.
I have tried, especially in the past few years, to narrow down my commitments to areas that I truly love and believe are important. The areas I try to keep my commitments limited to are: church, fair and school.
I feel like the things I commit to should be important to not only myself, but also to my family. One point I factor into every decision is whether my family can be included. Such as, whether or not my kids can come with me, will being a part of this commitment keep me from one of my children's activities, will it keep me away from time with Jay and the kids? If the answer to any of those is yes, then I have to seriously consider whether or not it is worth it.
Second, and I know this should come first but it doesn't always, is prayer. I feel like any commitment I make needs to be prayed about. If God wants me to do it, he will somehow let me know it's okay. The reason I said this doesn't always happen first is that I'm a trigger-happy kind of person, so I will usually spew out a YES, if I don't have any hesitation, without praying...only after quickly contemplating whether it will mess with my family time. If I have already said yes, I then pray that my yes will be yes and that I will honor that commitment and do my part to follow through with it. Sometimes Sarah and her procrastination gets in the way and we struggle, but I try to follow through...eventually. Lately I have been praying ahead of time that I will make the right decisions concerning commitments. I'm working the pro-active plan...ha. As Proverbs 16:3 says, I need to let Him show me opportunities he wants me to venture into and then I can yes...instead of the other way around.
A consideration I take into account, especially if I have the time, is whether or not someone else can do it. Sometimes just because I can do something doesn't mean I should. Are there others out there who might love the chance to do this? Am I robbing another of the opportunity to become involved or share their gifts?
There are times I take on things out of obligation and that is the worst. Because what happens is that I resent whatever it is and don't put forth my best effort. I usually end up having a negative attitude, which translates to a "I don't care" attitude. And as a result, whatever it is, is done part-way or just enough so I can wipe it off my to-do list. I know that sounds terrible, but it happens. I taught Sunday School one year several years ago out of obligation and I tell you, it was the longest, most miserable year of church I can remember. I dreaded going to church because I had to teach that class. (And I am ashamed to admit it.) I learned a valuable lesson that year, and teaching only out of obligation hasn't happened again.
I know it seems I run non-stop and I suppose I do a little, but a lot of that is by choice. I like to be on the go and be active, which isn't always good for everyone else. I just have to remember that although I may like running around constantly, my family may not. Sometimes I need to relax (ugh, it's so hard) and hang out at home and I have been trying to do that a little lately. (Wonder if they have noticed?)
I'm a work in progress and so thankful that God doesn't quit on me. I'm thankful that he bombarded me with those devotionals and readings about commitments because I am thinking about it more and taking them seriously.
Just last week someone told me I might be asked to join a committee that was needing some new members. It is actually something I think I would really enjoy helping with and I believe it is a good cause, but I am just not sure it works for me at this time in my life. I told that person that I just didn't feel like I could right now and she understood. (It actually felt good saying no and being okay with it.) I wasn't attacked viciously or cursed out. Nothing bad happened to me on the way home that night. I said no and I survived. So maybe I can do this...
No comments:
Post a Comment