Friday, September 16, 2011

Serving Royalty

My family, on both sides, comes from a long-line of basketball fans and a few coaches.  My grandma's nephew, Steve, was head coach for the Bluestreaks for many years and then had the opportunity to become assistant coach with the Evansville Aces, which was a pretty big deal for the family. 

I'm not sure how all of this came about except that Steve loved, loved, loved his Aunt Madolyn's cookin' and apparently she invited him and some friends over for lunch one summer day.  I was so excited.  Grandma wanted me to come over and help her get the lunch ready and serve it.  I was giddy with delight.  It was like serving royalty.  He was bringing Aces player Marty Simmons and another player by the name of Scott Hanson, maybe (although that may not be right, I was totally zeroed in on Marty).  I think there was maybe another coach with them too.  We would be having the usual gourmet dinner on the farm: beef and noodles, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, cottage cheese.

Unfortunately for me, I had just gotten my first perm.  You've got the visual, I know.  A fresh perm on fresh young hair.  Hair that really, really takes a perm too.  I was mortified.  I looked like the guy from Hall & Oats (please tell me you're old enough to know who Hall & Oats are).  I can't remember which one he is, but if you look it up, you'll know who I'm talking about.  There wasn't much I could do about my hair so I just carried on.  I remember sorta hiding at times.  Ducking in and out.  Grandma would have me go out with something and I would lay it on the table and dart back to the kitchen without being seen. 

It was such a big deal to me and one of my fondest memories.  Of course, I realize now that it was probably etched in my mind forever in part due to the hair-fro I was sporting and how embarrased I was. Looking back on it now, I'm guessing they didn't even notice little Miss Hall & Oats and her fresh perm because they were too busy soaking up those delicious homemade noodles...aaaahhh...

No comments: