When Madolyn was maybe two or three years old, Jay got a new truck. He was so excited about this 'new' truck because he had had the same little truck for years and really wanted a bigger and little newer style. He searched around, found what he thought was a good deal and brought it home.
It was nice, leather, had a topper, was an extended-cab with the back seat. Everything he had always wanted. I was excited for him. I remember being outside, all three of us, admiring the new truck and looking at every feature. Jay had a smile a mile-wide on his face. It was getting late and time to head in the house for the night. I offered to pull it in the garage, I was just dying to drive it. He said okay, but please be careful. Yes, Jay, I know, geesh.
So I crawl up in the driver's seat, Madolyn is standing behind me in the back seat and I start to pull in the garage. Our garage is a two-car garage with one big door. Until a couple weeks ago, it was crammed full of all kinds of stuff too...so it was a very tight fit. But there was no way his new truck was going to stay out in the weather all night. So we go...
Jay is standing in the front of the garage where I will be pulling in giving me the hand signals and directions. I'm kinda blowing him off because, duh, I've been driving for years, I can pull a vehicle into a garage, even if it is a tight squeeze. As I pull in, he orders me to back out and straighten up a little before coming in much further. So I put it in reverse and back out...without thinking about that side mirror on the passenger side and the possible contact it could make with the far side of the garage...
I heard the awful, terrible sound of the metal hitting metal and then I hear the even worse sound of Jay screaming bloody murder at me...which then causes Madolyn to start crying and she yells, "You've killed my daddy, haven't you?" Yes, it was that bad. Jay was completely distraught. Within two hours of bringing home his dream truck, I had ripped the side mirror right off the passenger door...Eventually I think he forgave me, and it could've been worse, I really could have run over him...
No comments:
Post a Comment