Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:14 NIV)
Isn't it funny how goals change as you get older? I can remember that I used to think that if I had this or that, then I would be happy. If I accomplish this one thing, then I'd be successful. The goal I have been focusing on for the past few years is this: If I can change just one person's life, then my life was successful and I accomplished His purpose for me.
Tomorrow night we will have a cookout/potluck to just kick off the new year for youth at our church. Our youth program has been growing and we are overjoyed and amazed constantly that the kids keep coming back. We even purchased an older church van earlier this year to help with the transportation. Our church is way out in the middle of nowhere, near Moonshine, which is a tad further out in the middle of nowhere. We have three or four school districts that feed into our church or youth. I love it. It is something I look forward to now, which amazes me.
About five years ago when my friend I'll call Beth and two others in our church decided it was time to start up a youth group again, I was hesitant. We had tried one a few years earlier for the younger kids and it just didn't work. My attitude about it was TERRIBLE. It didn't work out. I had had one at my house about ten years ago for a couple years and it was pretty good...until those kids graduated. So I started praying about whether I should become involved with this new youth group. I prayed for guidance, acceptance and a change of attitude. I knew that God may tell me to do this and I better have an attitude adjustment or I will be miserable. Of course, he answered.
We forged ahead. The plan was to have church members sign up to provide a meal before our youth meeting because we knew so many kids came straight from some sort of practice. It worked. I think we did this high school youth group two years when the church decided to expand the program and include all ages. It has been a success. We still serve a meal each Wednesday evening and have a whole committee devoted to that. A list is put up monthly and people sign up to bring certain items and the kitchen committee throws it all together. After supper, we divide up into our age groups.
It never ceases to amaze me what these kids come up with each week, the lessons they teach me, the shocking stuff they tell us, the very different lives they lead. Several of them don't come on Sundays, their families do not participate in church activities anywhere and some have never ever been to church before. Again, it just floors me. Some of these kids have never been to a church service! How can that be?
We know that some of these youth make terrible choices, even after we've covered that very topic; we know they continue to struggle with bad habits, destructive relationships, terrible attitudes, etc. We are well aware of the fact that sometimes they go out and screw up terribly. I think our common goal, or at least mine is, to continue to love them unconditionally, to accept them without question, and to continue to pound into their heads what the Word says, how to make better decisions, how to break free from their chains, etc. We know these kids aren't coming to us and leaving perfect human beings, but we love them anyway.
I don't know of a single church body that could claim that kind of turnaround either...we are all sinners. Our churches would be empty if it weren't for us sinners. I think sometimes adults put way too much pressure on our young adults to lead perfect lives and to go out and put on a good image for the church. Sometimes I want to just scream at a youth when I find out something they did, something we've talked about over and over, but I know that I do the very same things even as an adult. I pray for forgiveness about something and then find myself right back there doing it over again. The facts may be different, but I am no different. Thankfully, God loves us anyway.
The youth are our future. If we, as Christians, want Christianity to prosper, we have to move. We cannot sit back and hope that someone else will take action. Maybe teaching a high school youth group is not your thing, maybe you would be better suited in the younger groups, or maybe you feel like driving the church bus or van is all you can offer, so be it. There are many, many ways we can be involved and active in our futures. I get so tired of hearing others complain about how Christians are becoming the minority, I want to stand up and say, "Well, then what are YOU doing about it?" Get out there and move. If you're not comfortable with children, there are adults that need Jesus too!!
And like I said at the beginning, my goals are different now. I just want to change one person's life for the better. I want them to have Jesus in their heart and know they will experience Heaven. It's not a notch in my belt, I'm not keeping a tally or anything, but it's what we're all supposed to be doing anyway, right? The bummer is I may never even know...and maybe that's how it's supposed to be so we don't stop working on people.
But, you know, if I happen to change your life, preferably for the better, can you let me know...so then I could ease up on myself little:)
5 comments:
Oh, gosh, this brings back memories or our youth group when James was the youth leader. We had a great time, and they learned so much. I don't know how much stayed with them, but hopefully just enough. At a youth retreat in Florida one summer, some of us were at the laundry mat when a few boys came in. We got to talking to them, and somehow the conversation came around to drinking or drugs--can't remember now--but I said, "I've got something better than that." They were all sooo interested! hahaha But it gave me a chance to witness and tell them about Jesus. Good stuff here, Ms. Sarah.
Preach it Sister Sarah! And oh yeah-you certainly have touched my life and made it better and a lot of others too. You are one of the most generous, giving people I know!
You have DEFINITELY made my life better for being in it. Even though we really only are together at work, you are much more than a "work friend" to me. I thank God for you.
You guys are too kind to me. I can smack those nice words right back at you! B, it's all about planting the seed with the youngsters...That's all we can do!
okay, see, I can't figure out how to comment on comments. Oh well.
Post a Comment