If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9 NIV)
I know I've used this verse before in a post a while back, but it's a good one. And I must share this cute little story. This past Sunday, as it was the first Sunday of the month, it was time for communion. Usually, my little guy is in Children's Church, but he is now a big-time second grader and doesn't get to go back with the younger kids. So he sat down beside Jay and I after the children's sermon.
The congregation said our Affirmation of Faith in unison and our preacher started the communion process. He always invites anyone who has Jesus in their hearts to partake in the communion. As soon as he said this, my sweet boy raised his hand and smiled. I thought I would burst. Jay saw it too. It was adorable. He has taken communion before but he has never been out in the sanctuary for the whole process so this was all new to him. Our elders deliver the sacraments back to the nursery so that the leader and any children back there who have accepted Christ can partake. I knew he had had communion in children's church but I had never thought about him missing the service part of it.
It was absolutely priceless. One of those moments where you just want to high-five your child and say, YES! He gets it. He was super excited about Jesus being in his heart. He raised his hand with a smile. He was not embarrased. We were in the second pew. He didn't worry about what the people behind us thought. I wanted to stand up and say, hey, we should all be raising our hands with a beaming smile, shouldn't we? Instead I'm guessing if you look out over the crowd, you would see faces with very serious looks, a few tears and maybe even heads bowed. I'm not saying it's not a very serious ceremony that should become some sort of dance party or something, but maybe just once we should raise our hands and exclaim our excitement. What do you say? Are you with me? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment