Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My toothless knocked-up friend...

Madolyn and her friend were digging around in my mountain of pictures and found a picture of my friend I call "Beth" and a picture from New Year's Eve 2008/2009.  It is one of those pictures that just captures a moment, you know.

A bunch of us get together every New Year's Eve with our kiddos and hit Monical's in Robinson for pizza and then go back home and play games.  That particular New Year's Eve my friend "Beth" was pregnant, about 8 months pregnant so it was pretty obvious.  She had been having issues with her front fake tooth and had been visiting the dentist trying to get it resolved and get something in there permanent.  Whatever she'd had in there since grade school was not holding, but the dentist had a plan and she had a tooth in place until the permanent could be installed.

We ate our salad, got our pizza and started chowing down.  "Beth" and her husband were sitting right across from Jay and I, but there were a bunch of us there surrounding her.  Monical's was packed with other customers.  Suddenly, "Beth" got that look on her face like 'uh-oh' and I saw it...her temporary tooth had not only come loose, it was gone.  Now, I am telling you, I know that she's my good friend and I should be her best supporter, but it was one of the funniest things I had ever seen...Her big smile with that humongous black void was just hysterical.  Jay and I started laughing and simply could not stop.  The others were cracking up too...we were mean, I know, but it was absolutely priceless. 

She was a fifth grade teacher and they would be going back to school in a couple of days.  What was she supposed to do until then?!  I can only imagine the kind of grief she would receive from a bunch of ten-year-olds.  "Beth" then made her husband call her dentist at home on New Year's Eve, he was hosting his own NYE bash...I can only imagine what was going through his mind!  Basically, he told her too bad, I'll see you in the office next business day (which was a few days away).  Just make do the rest of the weekend.

Jay and I were not very good examples that night in front of our kids.  It was so dern funny...I took that picture of her when we got back to her house.  Poor "Beth" every time she would open her mouth, someone would bust up.  My face hurt from laughing so hard that evening.  I'm glad she's the kind that can take it because we sure dished it out at her expense.  It was a memorable New Year's Eve and now that picture is in my car for some reason, which makes me laugh daily.  My toothless knocked-up friend...Good times...

1 comment:

Julie said...

This is awesome. Tell "Beth" she needs to find better friends. I know some great folks a little further south that she might like to hang out with ;)