But the other criminal protested, “Don’t you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.” And Jesus replied, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.” Luke 23:40-43 (NLT)
This is my favorite part of the Easter story. May be a little odd, but every time I hear this passage read or read it, I get chills. Third Day has a song entitled "Thief" that is one of my all-time favorites and the lyrics are so powerful. You can read the lyrics or go ahead and listen to the link below if you would like. It's a great, great song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wktv5mA7EB0
Thief
I am a thief, I am a murderer
Walking up this lonely hill
What have I done? No, I don't remember
No one knows just how I feel
and I know that my time is coming soon.
It's been so long. Oh, such a long time
Since I've lived with peace and rest
Now I am here, my destination
I guess things work for the best.
and I know that my time is coming soon.
Who is this man? This man beside me
They call the King of the Jews
They don't believe that He's the Messiah
But, somehow I know it's true.
They laugh at Him in mockery,
and they beat Him till He bleeds
They nail Him to the rugged cross,
And raise Him, they raise Him up next to me
My time has come, I'm slowly fading
I deserve what I receive
Jesus when You are in Your kingdom
Could You please, please remember me
and He looks at me still holding on
the tears fall from His eyes
He says I tell the truth
Today, you will live with me in paradise
and I know that my time, yes, my time is coming soon
and I know that my time, yes, my time is coming soon
And I know Paradise, Paradise is coming soon.
So why do I like that passage so much about the thief? Because that thief is me! I'm the unworthy sinner who deserves punishment for my sins. Hanging next to Jesus, I would look no different than this fellow. And even as they were going to die, Jesus extended mercy to him at that moment. It had to have been great comfort for the thief, even under the circumstances...and most likely a relief.
To me, that tiny scripture passage secures my place in paradise. Because if Jesus can forgive that guy and those that crucified him, he will forgive even me.
1 comment:
That made my eyes wet, Sarah. So true.
Post a Comment