I've had a change of heart about something I thought I felt pretty strongly about...until recently. Over the past few years, I've witnessed other parents running their kids here and there and everywhere to club or league tournaments. Many times I've made comments and criticized their judgment, wondering why in the world they would choose to devote so much time and money to these things. It seemed utterly ridiculous to me. Until now.
For the first time in my daughter's life, I see a spark, an excitement that I've never seen before when it comes to an interest or activity. She has tried various things, but volleyball has become her passion. A while back she made a comment to me that blew me away. It wasn't a bad comment, just one that made me realize she was serious. I kind of decided then and there that I would do whatever I could to help her achieve that goal, within reason. Jay and I are thrilled to see her actually commit to something and give it her all.
As we attended junior high basketball games and junior high volleyball games night after night, week after week, it occurred to me that being a parent comes with a price. It is a commitment and an unselfish one. I finally figured out that my priorities have to shift. It is no longer just about me and what I want to do anymore. Do I want to totally write myself off? No, there has to be a balance, but I'm finding that as I make this shift, I really want to be where my kids are, helping with their activities or even just cheering them on.
There are certain characteristics and qualities we want our kids to take from their childhood and into their adult lives. Things like discipline, achievement, responsibility, teamwork, encouragement, focus, drive, commitment, decision-making. Although there are many areas in life these qualities can be attained, sports and extra-curricular activities can be a major contributor.
It's no surprise that kids involved in sports and extra-curricular activities are less likely to be lurking around in mischief and getting into trouble. That is not to say those (my) kids will never be in trouble, but it sure helps them tow the line. If a sport or activity is important enough to a child, they may be more inclined to keep their grades up and walk a straighter path. Who doesn't want that for their child?
So this past weekend, we committed to a volleyball club. Something I really thought we would never do (mostly for selfish reasons). Madolyn is super excited about it and has agreed to work towards at least half of the fee. We feel like that's a fair compromise. Yes, it will be time consuming for a couple months, but you never know what could come of it down the road and it's giving Madolyn something to occupy some of her idle time.
Towards the end of the regular volleyball season, we were battling it out with a pretty tough team. We had each won one game and it was 24-15 in the final game, their favor. That's when I heard my daughter tell her teammates, "We've got this, ladies. Come on." At first I had to kind of chuckle. In a practical sense, the game was over and she still thought they could win. But later I realized that really was a proud moment for mom. Mad hadn't given up and she continued to encourage her teammates, even when things looked pretty bleak. Ahhh, yes, and that is why we do what we do...
2 comments:
Love!
Yay!
Jordan started playing travel softball last year which consumes a lot of time (and money). But she loves it, and I love watching her play. It's a win/win situation!
Post a Comment