Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Zero turn = zero control

Husqvarna...Recently Jay bought the lawnmower of his dreams.  It is bright orange and has no steering wheel.  That is pretty much how I would describe it.  The picture on the left is similar, I'm sure it's not the exact model, but it's close.  I think it looks like a big orange insect.

I finally had my turn learning how to operate the big orange insect this past weekend, and let me tell you, it was quite an experience.  What floors me is that my 8 year old son and 11 (almost 12) year old daughter can operate this machine without difficulty.  It is mind-boggling.

After Madolyn had mowed a while, I sat down for my turn.  Jay showed me how to start it, how to raise and lower the mowing deck, go foward and backwards, etc., all in about 30 seconds.  My first question was: Where is the foot brake?  Funny thing (not really), there isn't one, except for the parking brake.  You just pull the handles in neutral position and you stop.  I asked what do I do if I need to stop quickly, as in an emergency?  The answer:  You pull back fast.  Hmm.

So I start the big orange bug and take off...sort of.  Lucky me, my mom and all my nieces were there so I had a small audience.  Almost immediately, I am out of control.  That thing moves quickly and is super sensitive.  I was this way and that way and jerking here and there.  I kept stomping my foot as if to hit a brake...of course, there wasn't one.  Jay is screaming at me.  I stop.  He provides more loving guidance.  And off I go again.

Fortunately, I was left to mow the open area.  There are a few trees and a pond...which could present a problem, I suppose...but for the most part, I couldn't hurt much.  Thank goodness.  It was terrible.  I would concentrate so hard that I would go left, then right, then spin around.  And then I would come to a halt and go in reverse because if I pulled back too hard...that is reverse.  Stopping is a very precise position...one I had trouble finding.

Jay hollered at me at one point to just stop and get off...which only made me more determined.  I cannot let this stupid orange bug defeat me.  I will get this...after all my son and daughter can drive this thing...our friend's son, who is two years younger than Lane, can drive their zero-turn mower, I can do this.  My arms were so tense and tight from grasping those stupid handles, but I persisted.  I will get this.

Thankfully, Jay gave up on getting me to stop.  (It takes a while, but he catches on.  I can be pretty stubborn.)  I zipped around and occasionally got into a spin, but eventually I mowed the large part without damaging anything beyond repair.  I don't get it at all, the love of that thing...unless you like speed, I suppose.  No question it is very fast and you are able to get up real close to stuff...that is if you can figure out how to get there without hitting anything.

Mom made an interesting analogy.  I don't do much better on the horse than I did with that mower.  I tried riding Woody this weekend too and it didn't go so well either.  Hmm, I'm starting to get a complex.

I love to mow.  It is very relaxing, but I find it harder and harder to find the time to mow these days.  Good thing is that Madolyn enjoys mowing and somehow is able to control that bright orange beast.  Jay loves zipping around on it too.  Good for you guys, you can have it!  Give me a tractor or a typical lawnmower with a steering wheel and a foot brake any day! 

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Oh my word, I can just SEE you zippin' around on that thing. And Jay tryin' to stop you. And you not stopping.