Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Just in the nick of time

Last weekend one of Jay's cousins got married in St. Louis.  This was Jay's weekend to work, so he stayed home, the kids left on Friday and went down with my in-laws and then after working at the multi-family yard sale we had committed to, I drove down on Saturday.  The wedding was to start at 2:00.  I got ready and left at 10:50 which, in my mind, was plenty of time.  And if you know me, I have a little trouble with allowing myself enough time for things.

So I decide to treat myself to a gas station Diet Pepsi and hit the highway for the big city.  I wasn't doing too bad until just on the other side of Vandalia, I think it was...my eyes got very heavy and I was having major problems keeping them open.  (I had gotten up early, was by myself, the sun was warm, etc.)  I figured I had plenty of time to pull over and take a little catnap instead of crashing into someone or something.  (I used to do this on the way to court reporting school, little naps along a country road.)  I pulled into a Long John Silver's parking lot and find a spot in the shade.  I leaned my seat back, kept my car running because it was so warm and closed my eyes.  About 20 minutes later, Lane called and woke me up...sort of.  I was basically waking up anyway, but I was glad for that extra jolt.  I felt much better and headed back out on the interstate. 

I'm not super comfortable driving in the city.  I had directions and an address I could punch into the GPS if necessary.  All the festivities were at one hotel so once I got there, I didn't have to leave.  I wasn't anticipating trouble, but you never know.  Just as I was about to cross the river, the cars stopped.  Apparently up ahead a lane was shutdown and everyone was merging together.  Ugh.  Thankfully there wasn't a Cardinal's game because I know it would've been worse.

I called my in-laws.  They thought it would take me about 30 minutes from the river.  Joy, it was already 1:35.  There was no way I was going to make it by 2:00.  I told them to go on down to the wedding (thankfully, it was at the hotel) and I would just get changed and come straight in.  I pressed on.

I make it to my exit and turn off.  I pull up to the light to make a left which will take me straight to the hotel, and I hear sirens.  Now, I had been clipping along pretty good, but I had not been driving like a mad woman...the sirens freaked me out for a second.  I look and see it's only a firetruck...with its lights and sirens on.  Oh, well, I go ahead and make my turn because there was plenty of time for me to go in front of the truck, and there is NO way it's going the same place I am, right?  I kinda chuckled to myself, that would make a great story, wouldn't it?  Firetrucks at your wedding!  haha.

At 2:05 I pull on into the hotel parking lot and see two police cars, then realize that that firetruck with the lights and sirens really is coming to the same place I am.  Good grief.  I park quickly, kick off my shoes, jump in the backseat, take my clothes off (yes, right there in the parking lot), throw a dress over my head, slip into my heels, grab my keys, lock the car and dart for the door.  The firetruck and police cars are blocking the main entrance so I go to a side door, walk in, ask where the "Pavilion" is and the confused-looking guy tells me he has no idea.  I go back outside and run past the police cars into the main entrance, tell the front desk lady that I'm late for a wedding in the Pavilion, she points me down a hallway and tells me to turn right into a really long tunnel/hallway thing that will take me to it.  Cool.

At this point I had decided, I've been to a zillion weddings, they're all pretty much the same and it's okay if I miss a little bit...but I run down this really long tunnel/hallway thing anyway and turn the corner where a few guys in tuxedos are standing.  They tell me to go on in, the wedding hasn't started.  Oh, wow, I can't believe my luck!  I go on up to the doorway and take a step...wow, again, I'm standing at the front next to the piano facing everyone.  I duck back inside and tell the fellas I'm not going in that door...they tell me it's fine, I evaluate my options (which are zero), slip on inside and grab a chair on the bride's side.  Technically, I'm with the groom, but I didn't figure anyone would make me move.  My kids were waving at me and trying to get me to come sit with them, but there was no way I was crossing the runner!

I take a deep breath and watch the wedding unfold.  I was delighted to find that Jay's crazy Uncle Doug was officiating the ceremony.  I didn't realize that he was, and it was a nice surprise.  He kept it very light and funny.  The bride was beautiful and all was well.  I was just so relieved to be there...ahhh.

After the ceremony everyone is standing around talking, I'm telling them they would not believe it, but there were firetrucks and police outside and how I nearly missed the wedding, couldn't believe it hadn't started by the time I got here, etc.  Funny thing, they did believe it...the firetruck and police cars were there because about six of Jay's extended family members were stuck in the elevator and had been for 15 or 20 minutes!!  They were trying to delay the wedding a little to give them time to get out.  I overheard the groom say something like, "I was so nervous and just wanted to get it started, and if it had only been like one or two of the family, I would've went on, but I couldn't start without all of them."  Thank you, Wes!  And thanks to the elevator fiasco, I made it to the wedding just in the nick of time:)

No comments: