Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Well, I'm still alive

after giving up the Diet Pepsi, that is.  I tried to go back and look, did I not write about giving up the D.P.?  I can't seem to find it anywhere...I was curious how long it had been.  Well, anyway, I'm still alive!  Awesome, huh?  I have cut the cord on the 32-ounce Styrofoam cup, fountain machine Diet Pepsi from the local gas station and I have survived!  It's a miracle!

I had decided that my addiction had gotten completely out of control.  Completely.  We live seven miles south of town and on a weekend, I would make that 14-mile roundtrip just to buy a pop at the gas station, and if they were out, it would really irk me and I would drive to the next town over to get one.  Can you say Ridiculous?  Yep.

So I knew that I would suffer some major caffeine-withdraw headaches, and although I know that caffeine is absolutely not good for me, I didn't give up the caffeine...yet.  I have basically substituted one caffeine-filled drink for another, BUT I'm not going to let that bring me down.  I now skip my morning fix from the local gas station and have myself a bottle of water mixed with a Crystal Lite Sugar-Free Caffeine packet!  I actually do drink two of them every day before lunch, BUT I'm alive without the Diet Pepsi! 

I am not totally boycotting the yummy D.P.  I will still order it to eat with a meal at a restaurant, or if we're on a roadtrip or something, I may get one, but it's no longer something I'm dependent upon.  And I love it.  I have found that it's not quite as tasty as I remember it being too, which helps with the cravings!  Do I notice any major changes in myself without the pop?  Nope.  Not a one.  Maybe I would if I gave up caffeine altogether, but I was kinda hoping for some life-altering change that would make me never want to go back to drinking so much pop again.  Oh well, I'm a-okay without it regardless.

I am saving myself $1.06 every morning plus, because sometimes I would go back for more pop later in the day.  I know I'm buying the Crystal Lite packets, but they're pretty inexpensive.  I always have bought water bottles so that wasn't really an added cost.  Another perk is the four minutes I save each morning by not stopping at the local gas station...I say four, but that is if I can get in and out without visiting...and if you know me, that doesn't happen very often. 

So I would encourage you, if there is something you feel you should cut out of your daily routine and you're afraid of what will happen after giving it up, go for it.  If I can do it, You can do it.  Maybe someday I'll put the nix on the caffeine too...but right now I'm just happy that I'm still alive!

No comments: