Thursday, May 24, 2012

Morning walks


In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.  Psalm 5:3 (NIV)


I think I've mentioned before how I absolutely love early-morning walks.  Each year, after the long cold, dark and dreary winter, I count the days until the time change and more daylight so I can get up early and go for a walk before work.  Early-morning walks fit my schedule perfect too.  It doesn't interfere with anything else I need to do (except extra shut-eye), and if I go ahead and get that exercise in, I can't find excuses later in the day for doing it.  Something always comes up that needs my attention and exercise takes a backseat.

During the winter season and shorter days, I'm very thankful that a local church with a large gym/fellowship hall is open during the day for walking.  At lunchtime, I will grab my Nook, put my tennis shoes on and head to their gym for a quick 30 minute walk.  I love it because I can read my Nook while walking.  Makes the time pass too.  And yes, I can read my Nook and walk without bumping into walls or tripping over myself.  I often look forward to that 30 minutes of uninterrupted reading...and the added bonus is the exercise.

So back to my point...early-morning walks and why I love them.  I love the peacefulness I feel when I'm out and about on a "deserted country road" (as a Facebook friend posted), it's just me and God...and two, three, four or five dogs.  (Not kidding, I call it my dog parade.)  I use that time to say my daily prayer and just talk to God a bit...(when I'm not yelling at a dog.)  I love the sun just beginning to shine and the cool air, even when it's blazing hot already in July.  I love to see the crops sprout out of the ground and start growing. 

I never regret getting up earlier than I need to and going on my early-morning walk.  Never.  It is a great time of reflection and prayer.  It helps me start my day on the right foot.  I would encourage you to give an early-morning walk a try.  If you find yourself needing just 30 minutes to start your day, soaking up God's creation and breathing fresh morning air, get up a little earlier than normal and lace up those tennis shoes.  Not only will you get some exercise out of the way, you'll feel better about the day ahead of you.  I bet you will love it too.

No comments: