We have recently discovered Joel Osteen Radio on our Sirius radio, Channel 128. It is FABULOUS. I heard my parents talking about stumbling across it on their way home from Michigan and then Jay tuned in and we've been ever hooked since. I don't even want to get out of my car. Our kids think we're nuts, but that's okay. The other morning on the way to school, I had Joel on and Lane said, "Oh, I heard this one yesterday with dad." Hmm, so he listens...
Every half hour he begins a new message with a joke. They're always funny, clean and a good intro for his topic. I look forward to hearing those funnies. Yes, he does have repeat messages, but sometimes it's a good thing to hear one over.
Today's message on the way to school/work this morning was great stuff. The topic was not letting others take your power away. He talked about the fact that there will always be people in your life that won't understand you or how you think, and there will be those that you will not be able to please regardless of how hard you try, among other things.
You know you have someone or several in your life that fall into this category. It seems like you cannot get this person to like you or see eye to eye with you on anything (even if you know you are right). Or the situation where you have obviously done something to upset another but for the life of you, you cannot remember or think of what it could possibly be. How about in the parent/child scenario? The child cannot seem to get one thing right no matter how hard they try to please the parent (or so they think).
We all have had those experiences. And I don't know about you, but these situations stress me out, cause me to carry around a dark cloud and it literally makes me have a pit in my stomach. Finally, I'm at the point in my life where I have learned that I must turn it over to God. I have to pray for my heart to be in the right place, ask God to point out any wrongdoing on my part, pray for the other person and then let it go. It is very hard to do at times because I like control and I like to be right.
But the message that Joel was bringing this morning on this subject was that stewing over these situations only causes that person to claim our joy, rob our sense of peace and take away our power. We should not let that happen. We also cannot let ourselves stoop to their level, which can be very difficult. I like to have the last word sometimes (or most of the time), but there are times when you just have to bite your tongue and walk away. Smile and wave, as the Penguins of Madagascar would say.
He had a funny analogy about this related to birds. He said something like, You are an eagle. They are a crow or sparrow. Fly high like an eagle where crows and sparrows cannot reach. Soar above so they cannot find you.
He said if we persist in being peaceful, doing the right thing no matter what the circumstance and continue to act out of kindness, God will notice. If the person you are praying for peace on doesn't accept your peace, God will pass that peace onto you so you can enjoy it. Ahh, Isn't that wonderful?
If you have access to Sirius radio either in your car or online, I urge you to try out Channel 128, Joel Osteen radio. It is so uplifting and encouraging. I'm not a big fan of TV evangelists, but this guy's messages are great. He will definitely give you something to think about.
No comments:
Post a Comment