Monday, November 4, 2013

Silly dogs

I love our dog Hank the Tank II, I really do, but we truly believe that he is the dumbest Labrador we have ever owned.  Maybe that is what makes him so doggone lovable, I don't know. 

He has no regard for personal space.  I believe his motto to be: "The closer, the better."  If he can find a way to get on you, he will.  He doesn't mind being crowded, but you might have to move over.

He absolutely loves Lane and will do just about anything to be right by his side.  Every night when it's time for Lane to go to bed, we tell Hank to "go to bed" and he saunters into Lane's room and gets situated on his bed.  His usual MO is to wait until Lane is sound asleep and then sneak out to the living room and get on the couch. 

Last week, Lane added an addendum to our bedtime prayer, "Please let Hank stay in bed with me all night."  And unlike many adults who pray (myself included), Lane fully believed his prayer would be answered...and it was.  The next evening Jay commented on the fact that when he checked on Lane before he left for work, Hank was still in there and that NEVER happens.  I then told him about Lane's little plea.  How 'bout that?

Fast forward a few nights.  Hank had not continued this pattern of behavior and Lane repeated the simple prayer.  And just like magic (ha), Hank stayed in bed all night with him.  From now on, I expect the phrase "please let Hank stay in bed all night with me" to be attached to our closing words, "in your name we pray, Amen." 

The other night I took the golf cart to my parent's house, and Zippy, my parent's dog, decided she wanted to ride back to my house so she hopped on.  Hank the Tank didn't like Zip riding with me and there was a ruckus...until Hank solved the problem.  He jumped up on the seat next to me and we all rode home together. 
Can you tell they're related?

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Good ol' Hank. :-)