Thursday, November 21, 2013

Hat's off

to the single parents of the world.  I applaud you for your efforts and admire your strength.  At times I feel like I can handle just about anything...and then reality hits. 

Jay is about to end his turnaround at work, which began roughly Oct 1.  He has enjoyed a total of three days off during the past several weeks, but we are all ready for this to come to an end.  I do realize that there are people out there who work hours like this all the time, that families function this way on a routine basis...but we do not.  Thankfully.

Last night Jay and I were talking and I had myself a pity party.  It lasted about three minutes and it was over.  No tears or anything extreme, just some whining.  "I am done with the single parenting gig.  How do people do this?"

And I only have two kids.  Good grief. 

I know you do what you do when you have to and often don't even think about it.  I know there are many situations people go through and later in retrospect, it is a total fog.  Looking back, I can't believe Jay has worked 12-hour days nearly every day since October 1.  But it does seem like forever since he was around and awake for more than 90 minutes - which I don't fault him for.

I'm not talking about major issues with the single parenting role, I mean the real simple ones...bedtime, running kids here and there, meals, animals, just having an adult at home instead of leaving the kids by themselves for a few hours, hunting partners, someone else to send the kid to who will also say "No."  I'm so blessed that I have friends and family always willing to help out.  I can't even fathom what it's like for single parents who have no support system! 

So this post isn't to draw out a pat on the back or to gather sympathy, I'm just expressing my relief at the work marathon coming to an end.  (And a break from the 4:30 a.m. alarm!)  It is a blessing in many respects and we are thankful for opportunities like this, but again, I say hat's off to the single parents of the world.  You have my admiration.

No comments: