I was sure there was no way I could speak at Grandma's funeral, no way, but I thought if I could muster up the strength and record it ahead of time, they could play it...so I did.
If you knew Grandma very well, as you read along, you may be able to imagine her saying a few of these things.
When we were growing up, Grandma always said...
Don’t go near the pond and stay
away from the electric fence.
What are you doing in there,
Petunia?Go get yourself a pop and some candy.
We’ll be at the game.
Look in the east closet of the west bedroom.
We will eat right at noon.
Don’t play on the bed.
Deon and I went on a drive today.
Ssshh, let’s listen to the scanner.
Go get the lighter fluid.
I am not going to let you win, now quit crying…Chris!
It’s got a twang to it.
I made fruit salad and wacky cake today.
Hel-Lo
I’ll have to take my banana salad…you know they’ll be asking for it.
I don’t really have a recipe for that.
And then when we got a little older, Grandma always said...
My name is spelled just how it sounds, MAD-O-LYN.
I've got to pass this car, I don't like anyone in front of me.
You know with your grandpa, we got there before we were invited.
Get me 13 bright red geraniums, 2 spikes and 12 marigolds.
Here, I’ll take out my teeth…your grandpa great used to do this all the time.
Oh, SHUT UP!
Come over, I’ll have the coffee on.
Slice up some cheese and let’s have crackers.
You know I like my collar buttoned to the tip-top.
Don’t pound on the piano.
My favorite color is red; bury me in red.
I used to polish Gene and Gale’s shoes.
I hate it when the corn is up, I can’t see Irene’s…is she home?
We never had it because your grandpa wouldn’t eat it.
I will always buy my groceries at Scottie’s.
What time does the Illini play?
Nellie came down today.
What do you want me to do? I’ll take you anywhere you need to go.
How does it taste? Where’s the critic?
I can touch my toes. I touch my toes ten times every morning.
Oh hush!
Don’t forget, my hair appointment is on Thursday morning.
I climb the stairs every day whether I need to or not, just so I can.
In the past few years, Grandma
always said…
Well, what do you know?
How is my hair in the back?Give me a hug, you sweet thang.
What’s it like outside?
Enjoy running with your kids while you can. It all ended when Chris got his truck.
I just hate you guys waiting on me.
Oh, good, we beat Casey.
The Peppermint Patties – those are for ME.
They aren’t noodles like I make.
Call Harper, the TV isn't working.
So what’s going on in Martinsville?
I need more red lipstick.
I stayed up to watch the Cardinal’s.
I’m so sick of peas, sweet potatoes and carrots.
Look at my nails, aren’t they pretty?
Go on, Sarah, I don’t want you to be late…like the Bennett’s.
No one has been here for days, is something wrong?
I need more cheese.
And dad would say, “Now, Jess…”
Grandma said a lot of things…and we would listen.
Mark reminded me later of a few good one's I forgot:
And the like
So on and so forth
Let's eat, drink and be merry.
2 comments:
aw, Ilove these. :)
You know someone's a great person when they tell you to go get yourself some pop and candy. LOVED reading these!
Post a Comment