Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The zoo

In this episode of the Wilhoit Funny Farm and Zoo, Hank and Abby have somehow destroyed (and there is no other word that would do it justice) a 6-7 foot Poplar tree that was in our yard.  They tore it to shreds.  Broke it off about two feet from the base and chewed it to pieces.  It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

We have that black field tile around the base of some of our smaller trees to protect it from mowers, deer, etc.  We did not even contemplate that a mouse or some other small animal may decide to take up residence in the black tile and that our very smart Labradors would find them.  I'm not sure if it was a mouse or a bunny or what, but whatever was living in there has been evicted, permanently.  I meant to take a picture of the aftermath, but Jay cleaned up the evidence.  It was unbelievable and not really precious at all.

A kid, who has been working at our house and in the area, has been fishing lately at our pond.  Hank the Tank finds this very entertaining and doesn't get it that the hook on the end of that cute little red/white circle floating in the water will hurt if you decide to eat it.  We have to pen him up or he will not leave them alone.  A few days ago, I brought him inside (although he was soaked and I was in dress clothes) and got a towel to dry him off.  Oh, he loved that...and it was quite an ordeal because as I'm trying to dry him off, he's rubbing and loving and wanting more and won't stand still...and that's when I texted Jay that I really wish I could hate this animal, but I just can't.  ugh.

Last weekend we went camping, and although we came home on Saturday to feed everyone, Hank missed us really, really bad.  He had shredded two cardboard boxes he found in the garage and tore to pieces the slip-n-slide Lane just bought a month ago.  There was also a pool floatie nearby, in two pieces...I'm pretty sure it's shot.  If we don't keep the pool gate closed, he is in the pool.  If the gate is closed and people are in the pool, he chews on the gate.  He is a menace.

Our regular dogsitter is going on vacation at the same time we are (you bet we'll be working on that next time) and honestly, I can't ask someone who is not a Lab lover to watch the Tank because I can only imagine how bad it could be. (I'm wondering if they planned this on purpose:)  Jay and I talked it over and decided that if we leave him loose with Abby, the following are possibilities:  one, he will destroy everything in his reach, trees, flowers, bushes, deck, tires, garage steps, everything; two, he will be at our neighbor's house destroying everything mentioned above; three, he will get hit by a car because he doesn't realize that he can't just walk freely in the middle of the road (he has no regard for anyone else or their space); and four, he will drive my parents nuts because he will follow Abby over there and not leave.

Our only option is to leave him penned up in the dog pen, and he's never been in one until this week.  On Monday, Jay and I set it up near the pigs so he'll have some company.  We've been practicing with him in the pen as people are fishing.  We figure he'll be completely hoarse by the time we get home...and hopefully he'll still be in there...alive.  Nothing will surprise me though, absolutely nothing.  Madolyn figures he'll escape.  We shall see.  I really hope he's alive and well when we come home.

I apologize now to anyone living in the radius because you may hear non-stop barking and yelping for a day or two.  I can't even imagine what he'll do each day when my parents come to feed him and then leave.  Ouch.

He's nearing his one-year birthday.  We lost Hank the Tank I just a month shy of his first birthday.  Hank II was born July 10, 2011.  I hope and pray he survives this ordeal.  He'll probably need therapy for years after his incarceration, but he's worth it, right?  Because he's so precious.

No comments: