Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I cannot even imagine...

living to be 94 years old.  Monday, June 18, 2012, we celebrated my grandma's (aka Grandma Great) 94th birthday.  She has told us for a couple weeks now that she didn't want anything, "You guys do so much for me anyway, don't get me a thing."  We hear that almost every year at Christmastime and her birthday.  Of course, at that age there's not a whole lot that you necessarily want anymore, I suppose. 

A little history...Grandma told me that on June 18, 1918, her mom had quite a busy day on their farm.  I think they had put up hay or something and Jess (my great grandmother) had made two big meals (lunch and supper) to feed the farm hands and help.  After putting in a full day, Madolyn Elizabeth was born to Ernie & Jess around 7:30 p.m.  I cannot even imagine working a full day on a farm (especially back in 1918), preparing and cleaning up after two big meals and then delivering a baby...at home.  Yikes.

Grandma did not want the folks at the nursing home knowing it was her birthday or having a big todo for her.  We told her that was going to be tough because they have her DOB listed probably several places next to her name!  And as expected, when I walked in on Monday, there was the big "Happy Birthday" poster on her door, a small birthday cake on her tv stand and she had had many cards and visitors.

My uncle picked her up and brought her down to her house and we had a mini birthday party.  Just the simple stuff, cake, ice cream, laughing, storytelling, etc.  She was so thankful to just sit in her beloved green chair.  Not everyone was able to be there, which is so hard to do these days, but we had a good turnout for our small family. 

I took a few pictures, but not a real great close-up of her and the cake (did my best).  I am quite certain that my aunt, uncle and dad will just love it that I have included this picture on my blog and facebook for all to see :)  Sorry, guys...and sorry to my readers who may be blinded by my uncle's safety work shirt.  Ha.

As I have mentioned several times in prior posts, this lady is quite a gal.  She continues to forge ahead in the midst of broken bones, failing health and lots of frustration.  I continue to thank God daily that he has blessed her with 94 years and that she has been a part of mine for 37.  Many times I have thought, I cannot even imagine living to be 90 or 91 or 92, etc.  There are times I'm not sure I want to, and then I visit Grandma, see her spunk and think, Why not?

No comments: