for the week before a vacation: crazy busy work days and a low back ache which developed into a major low back ache, which was diagnosed as sciatic nerve pain. Joy. Starting the week off were three very busy work days. I have to tell you, I used to have very busy work days weekly, but the pace where I work now is much slower and I like that most of the time. Every now and then it draws the days out, but I've learned to adjust :)
At about 3:30 on Monday, I looked at the clock and could not believe it was nearly 4:00, quitting time. Tuesday, about the same thing. Wednesday was that, plus something even more exciting in store for me.
About two-and-a-half weeks ago, I visited the family doctor because I had been having this low back ache, which I equated to the back labor I had with Madolyn. It wasn't horrible, but present. Dull, achy and annoying. I had no other symptoms so I was just sure that I had something going on back there with my kidneys, although I had no problems with the kidney function that I could observe. But I am related to my grandmother and I was certain whatever it was, it was bad, very bad. The doctor checked me out and all was well. Awesome. I assured them it was not a muscle strain, this was my kidneys. Off I went, hoping it would go away.
It didn't. It would wax and wane a little bit, come and go...but usually ever-present and annoying. On Tuesday of this week, I was at Lane's ball game and towards the end of the game, I went to sit down in my lawn chair and that's when it went from an achy back to an angry back. I didn't say a word. I just slid down in the chair and caught my breath. The game ended. I made it home, told Jay something was major wrong with my back and that I would have to see the doctor the next day.
Meanwhile, Lane had showed me a 'cut' on his foot earlier in the week. I didn't inspect it closely, but could tell it was a little over a half-inch long and didn't look red or infected. Okay, wear socks and/or shoes! (This is a major problem in the nice weather:) After we got home from the ball game on Tuesday, Lane was limping. Jay asked what the problem was and he showed him the 'cut.' Only the 'cut' was not a 'cut,' it was a humongous splinter! Minor surgery was performed with MAJOR reaction from the bud, who does not seem to have a very high pain tolerance and I discovered that standing on my right foot with my left leg extended back and up was very comfortable. Strange but true.
The night was terrible. I couldn't get comfortable. I tried the heat pad. I tried double Alleve. Nothing worked. Wednesday, I got up and took my morning walk, because I was sure it was my kidneys and I probably couldn't hurt them. Came back to shower and was overcome with sweat, dizziness and nauseousness. Apparently, my body was not liking my angry back and those silly kidneys. Got ready for work and put a call in to the doctor's office that something was going on and I wasn't going to ignore it any longer. It had been there a week or so before I had seen the doctor two weeks ago.
Then as I was talking with coworkers and texting with Jay, it clicked. I went on that trail ride to Moonshine a month ago. I rode 3 hours on a horse that I had never ridden and it was an extremely rough ride. I had passed her off to Jay with an hour or so ago, and he agreed she was very rough. I was sore the next couple days, but it never once dawned on me that that was the cause. Duh.
I called the chiropractor across the street and popped in for an adjustment later in the day. I explained the problem, showed him my 'comfortable stance' and he confirmed it was my left sciatica and that it was truly angry. He gave me a good twist, something went crack and I had some relief. I called a friend on my way home from work who has dealt with this before and she urged me to see a local massage therapist (I guess that's what you call her) "Connie." After Lane's ballgame, I called her up and she said come in an hour. "In an hour" meant 8:30 p.m. but I was thrilled.
I have never been into massage therapy or wanted to even experience it, but it was absolutely fabulous. I was so relaxed, which I have major trouble with, and after about 50 minutes, I was done. She had loosened up the area and said she felt it finally give in and relax. Ahhh. And that's what I mean. Ahhh. It felt great. I would highly recommend that particular therapist if you're local, and certainly massage therapy wherever you are because I cannot tell you how much better I felt afterwards. It was amazing. I always questioned things like that and whether they were just foo-foo, but now I'm a believer!!
I am still a bit sore today, but not in discomfort and before it was serious discomfort. I can take being sore. I slept great last night, and there wasn't a sleeping position that made me uncomfortable. Such a change from the night before. I know I'm not healed, but hopefully my angry back will get over it because I've got things to do and annoying back pain is not on my agenda!
No comments:
Post a Comment