There are forest fires out here right now. There is a big one in northern Colorado and there is another one in New Mexico. We were thankful to hear we wouldn't be near one...until we got to our resort and saw the smoke just over the hill. Of course, 'just over the hill' is quite a distance, but still, we can see smoke on the horizon....and it is NOT getting smaller. We headed in that direction to explore Peidra Falls anyway.
I could tell that Jay was sinking into 'Elk' mode quickly. Just seeing the hills got him all excited. He has been out here three times on Elk hunts and tells me each time he returns that we absolutely have to come out here because it's so beautiful. I agreed and am glad we are out here, and that we're NOT on an elk hunt. His idea of fun and my idea of fun are on two different shores. I had the sneaking suspicion that Jay was taking us up the mountain under the guise of a water fall, when in actuality we were scoping out elk hunt sites. I'm still not sure:)
We drove for what seemed like forever, which is how it is up here driving through and on these mountains. You just keep going, all the while thinking, we have to be about there, don't we, we've been driving forever? We passed the 'Hot Shots' and their worksite. They are the firemen that get dropped down into the fires by the helicopters. They are actively working, trying to calm the forest fire that is just behind us. They gave us a wave and we continued on up.
So this is what we drove up that mountain to see and it was nice and peaceful. Jay and I mentioned every now and then when we'd see something like that, how crazy it must have been for the early settlers or Indians...they're traveling through and they come up over a hill and see a gorgeous waterfall. By the time we got back to the car it was noon, Colorado time. We needed to get off that mountain and eat! We drove back down and ate at Boss Hogg's which was near our resort. I was starving by 1:30 and it was delicious. We were stuffed and tired so we came back and crashed for a few hours.
After a respite, we went back down to the Visitor's Center for local information and again were met with the Closed sign. Sunday = short hours. We ventured over to 'The Springs' spa and took a look at the hot springs. We told the kids we would do that in a couple of days. I am looking foward to it! There are like 18 hot spring pools that you get to sit in and then you can walk down to the river and set in the sun too.
Madolyn had her heart set on water water rafting, which I have always wanted to do also. As we were walking along the river, we saw a bunch of kids come in on tubes. Boy, that looked fun...and then I touched the water. OUCH, the water couldn't have been warmer than about 40-45 degrees. It is slightly above freezing. We visited an outfitter who said that the water levels were such that rafting was not possible, our only option would be tubing. And that's when we tried to talk the kids out of it. We took them back down along the river and made them get in the water and play around...hoping it would be too cold. We 'may' have convinced Lane, but Madolyn is adamant. Heaven, help me, I'll freeze to death!
1 comment:
I loved Royal Gorge. didn't do the little red box thing though. And that is just too, too funny about meeting those people!! I love doing that.
Post a Comment