VBS was over, the kids and I hopped in the jeep, no windows, no doors, and we headed home on that warm summer night. I think my 'other daughter' was with us too. We are coming down the road, almost to our driveway when we see a county sheriff's car near our drive. I panic because Lane isn't in a car seat/booster, the girls are hanging every body part they can out the sides of the jeep, and because I'm just that type of person, regardless of whether I am abiding by the laws of the state or not, I instantly panic when I see a police car of any type.
I decide we are going to go on past our driveway and go to my parent's house. I pull in their driveway and wait a few minutes, making up some bogus story to the kids about why we are
Turns out that Jay had filled up with gas before he left the town he works in, went inside, paid cash, drove off...and the cashier reported him as a drive-off. She had written down the make and model and the license plate number and that county had contacted our county. The deputy came to our house to investigate Jay driving off from the gas station without paying. Jay had paid, of course, but with cash. He had no receipt, but gave a very detailed account of using a fifty-dollar bill, had descriptions of who waited on him, who was in front of him, etc.
At the time, I worked part-time (as a secretary) at the police department in the city where this occurred so I immediately called down and asked for the officer we had been told was investigating it. I relayed all of Jay's details and he went to the station to find out what was going on. When all was said and done and the surveillance video had been watched, it was clear Jay had handed the cashier something and she had accepted it. Jay would not be arrested! (haha) We truly believe she was pulling a fast one and probably had that fifty bucks in her pocket.
This was during our hardcore Dave Ramsey days and we were all cash all the time...after that we were all cash with a receipt all the time:)
No comments:
Post a Comment