Bandwagons...something I try very hard not to jump onto. I don't know if I am getting better at that or not, but I think a lot more about it than I ever did before. In the past, I would jump on a bandwagon so fast I barely had time to even contemplate all the aspects of what it was I was even in a tither about. These days, I try (try, try) to stop for a moment and absorb everything I know about the subject before jumping on the tirade.
I have learned through past experiences that many times I wasn't aware of all the facts involved before I decided to join in on a rant. Often, I would get so enraged by whatever the issue was that I couldn't see past my feelings, my desires and my own opinion, without ever giving a moment's thought to what lie beneath the core issue.
This week I have been watching on Facebook as a hot-button topic has been debated (sort of) concerning something going on at my former high school. I do not know all the facts involved in the decisions that were made. I have only heard bits and pieces of information and none first-hand. I do believe that the folks on the school board and our administrators have the best intentions of our school and preserving its history at heart. I can only assume that they didn't know what else to do, this option was mentioned and they decided to go with it. I feel confident that none of the individuals involved are trying to destroy the pride of our high school or any of its history.
I may not always agree with the decisions that our board and administration makes; many times I cannot follow their reasoning, but I also realize that I am not in their position contemplating the decisions they must make. I am not the one faced with certain situations and dilemmas trying to decide how best to resolve it. It is so easy to be on the outside looking in, telling anyone that will listen how I would do thus and so if I was in charge. I know we pay the administrators to perform their jobs and that the board is elected by the voters, but it has to be a very thankless position for the most part.
I guess the part that upsets me the most is the negativity generated towards our school and harsh comments that have been made on Facebook, and I'm sure other places as well, about these people. "They" comment that they're not bashing people...but I don't know how else one could interpret it. If those things were being said about me, it would hurt my feelings, plain and simple. I truly hope that it does not end up on our local television station because it will only bring negative publicity to our school. Honestly, I don't know that I agree or disagree with the decision that is in debate...because I do not know enough about it to make an informed decision.
I will say that there are many good suggestions made on the post about other options the school officials could choose. It is nice to see so many alumni and citizens care about our school's legacy. Many have offered to donate money towards this project. I think those are great things.
Just like my post a few weeks ago about there being several sides to a story, I think the same could be said when talking about jumping on a bandwagon. I have to remind myself of this often: It is always important to hear "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say.
No comments:
Post a Comment