Monday, August 4, 2014

Fairly depressed fish

The summer would not be complete without bringing home a fair fish or two or five.  This year was no different.  What child can resist the temptation of winning a fish by tossing a ping pong ball into a fish bowl?  Not mine, that is for sure.  I can't give you an accurate number of how many fish we procured this year, but post-fair-week count at our house was four.

I'm no dummy - at least not right now - and have kept fish bowl and accessories at my fingertips for the past couple of years.  So, when we saw Lane with fish baggies in tow on the second night of the fair, there were no worries.  We were ready.

As I said, we ended up with four fish, two orange and two half white/half orange.  They were all in one pretty large fish bowl with the Spongebob Pineapple House fish accessory we had on hand.  One by one, the fish count dwindled.  We now have one half white/half orange fish...who seems depressed.

Jay keeps saying of course, he's depressed.  His companions are disappearing left and right.  And when you think about it, he left the carnival circa where he lived in an aquarium full of fish - as in, probably 50+ fish. Maybe he is lonesome...

After our large, older goldfish "Sherlock" died earlier this year, Sweet Josie was left without a watering hole...she is quite delighted it has returned and resumed her habit of sipping from the fish bowl.  Maybe this fish is terrified of that sweet little kitty's evil-looking eyes peering down at him through the water.  I can only imagine what it looks like from his vantage-point.  You know how water distorts an image! Maybe he thinks this beast has eaten his roommates...

It's the weirdest fish ever, I tell you.  He stays in that pineapple and only comes out to eat.  I end up shaking the water bowl to determine if he's alive or dead because he refuses to come out.  Who knows how long this one will last.  He's certainly not tons of fun or interesting to watch.  'Tis the life of a fairly depressed fish, I suppose.

No comments: