Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:5-6 (NIV)
This summer, whether packing for our family vacation, church camp or even a weekend camping trip, the number one main concern of all parties involved is, Do we have all the appropriate chargers? Everywhere we go, we have to make sure we have all the chargers and power cords. It's like going down a checklist: Ipod charger? Check. Cell phone charger (X3)? Check. Nook charger? Check. DS charger? Check. Adapter for car? Check. Camera charger? Check.
Good. Grief. Could we bring a few more chargers with us?
What about clothes, snacks, towels, swim/beach stuff, etc? Those are afterthoughts. First and foremost on everyone's minds are the stupid chargers because, God forbid, we are stranded for even 30 minutes without a charge. Seriously. And it's not as if we don't have back-up devices for entertainment. Madolyn's phone does almost everything, but if it would die, she could switch to the Nook or my Ipad. Lane has an Ipod, but if it dies, he has the DS. Jay's phone does lots of things, so if my phone would die, I could just use his, it's better anyway.
Last year, I noticed that our cheerleaders were plugging their phones in along the wall in the gymnasium during our ball games. Ridiculous. Completely ridiculous. I wasn't the actual cheer sponsor so I didn't feel like I could bark at all the girls, but I did bark at mine. No way are you going to charge your phone at a ball game, during the game, along the wall in the gym. No. Way.
When Madolyn is invited to go somewhere overnight, the very first thing she asks me to bring is her phone charger. It's not a toothbrush, clean underwear, clothes or shoes...it's the precious phone charger.
It would not surprise me one bit if in the future there aren't outlets in our children's school lockers. Not for cell phones, but someday I believe all the schools will have Think Pads or some other notebook for their students and do away with text books. And what will all of those devices need? Power. An outlet for a charger. I can't remember who I was talking to about this, but we laughed and then realized it wasn't so funny. It could really happen and probably will.
Go to an airport and take a look around. You will see adults, as well as young people, sitting (on the floor) within two feet of an electrical outlet. All over the place. And they even have actual charging stations in airports now. All over the place. They're almost always full.
Do you think we're all a little too plugged in these days? Watch and you will see, anxiety and panic set in if a battery dies without a charger or power within reach. Lane has a complete meltdown if he realizes we don't have a charger and we're on a long car ride...even if he has a full battery to begin with. You see, his mind is already whirling over the impending drain of his battery. It is ridiculous. He is consumed by the dread of a dead battery...instead of enjoying what time he has with it.
Everywhere we go, the most important item on the top of the list is a charger or power cord. Borrowing an old slogan that seems to fit - "Your charger - Never leave home without it."
I'm not sure how we backtrack now. It's such a normal way of life anymore. And honestly, at times I'm as bad as my kids. If I forget my cell phone at home or my battery is about dead, I feel like I've been stranded or I'll miss something...it is like a dark cloud over me until the problem is resolved. I don't like the way it makes me feel, but I have been a willing participant in getting myself to that point.
I bet God wished we were this attached to our bibles...and this devoted to scripture...to Him...to our church...to serving and loving one another. Thankfully, we don't have to search for an outlet or have the right power cord to be plugged in with God. He never needs a charge. We do.
No comments:
Post a Comment