A few weeks after I committed to the show, I tried on several dresses and found a few that seemed to fit, some that didn't (put in the skinny girl pile) and did next to nothing to prepare myself for this modeling debut. One might think making good eating choices and some toning exercises would be appropriate...but that didn't really occur to me until the rehearsal. Of course, by then it was a wee bit too late. Off to Wal-Mart I went to buy a cheap version of some Spanx (stuff-it-in-tight-type undergarment).
I originally was supposed to wear two dresses: one from the 1920's, lovely, black velvet with ivory lace trim, flowy and forgiving; and the other from the 1960's, Aqua Blue, lacy and just about right in the size department. At the rehearsal, I was asked to wear another dress that a nine-year-old was supposed to wear. Yes, you heard that right - a nine-year-old, not a thirty-nine-year-old. I suggested that perhaps someone a little younger and smaller than I would be better suited for the dress, but the lady was insistent that I could wear it, she had and she just knew I could too. I tried it on, and that's when a friend and co-model suggested the 'Spanx." Thank you, "Lora," for the suggestion. I was grateful to find one that worked.
It was obvious that the style show committee, made up of energetic, organized women in our community, had worked long and hard to put on a class act...and I think they did. I believe there were approximately 60 different outfits modeled, beginning with dresses from the early 1900's and ending with the 1970's. There were several children who participated and they too, did a great job. Some of those younger gals had to change in and out of outfits quickly and run right back out on stage.
![]() |
| Just call me Her Ladyship. |
Jay was working so I texted him a picture of me in each dress. His first thought: Oh, your grandma would've loved this. Yes, she sure would have.
I had a little time to spare after the first dress, so after changing into a lovely aqua-colored lacy dress from the 1960's, the hair stylist called me over for hairstyle number two. And let me just say it was a doozie. The hair guy says to me, "I'm going to exaggerate this style just a little bit." That is the understatement of the century.
There weren't any mirrors over by the hair station, so I had no idea what he was doing, but wasn't too worried, until he turned me around and everyone downstairs started laughing and grabbing cameras. I scurried over to the mirror and about lost it. Holy smokes, I looked like I had been caught up in a tornado. I had no choice but to go with it because I was up very soon. The expression on the emcee's face when she turned to see if I was ready to come out on stage was priceless.
![]() |
| No, it's not a wig or hairpiece. |
Inside I was mortified, but I made the best of it. I will say I didn't waste any time on the 'runway' for this mother-of-the-bride dress at all. Cameras were clicking from all angles. AHHH! I can only imagine the cackle I would have heard out of my grandma on this one.
As soon as I got to work today, a coworker had a nice 8x10 printout of me and ALL my glory. One of the deputies was in my office and he just laughed and laughed.
I had to quickly change out of the pretty mother-of-the-bride dress and stuff myself in the cute meant-for-a-nine-year-old dress and then starting dismantling the nest on my head. Lots of heavy brushing went into taming that beast. I also lost several strands of hair. (Thankfully I have a full head of hair!)
![]() |
| Thank God for the 'Spanx" |
By the time the show was over, I was worn out. And I didn't have to hustle like some of the girls did...I can only imagine how exhausted they were! One little gal literally got stuck in her dress. They were yelling, "we're waiting on you" over and over, and the lady helping kept yelling back, "she's stuck, we are trying to get her out." It was one of those funny/not funny situations. She escaped that zipper and was back up in no time.
I really wish I had more pictures to share of the decor and all the hats and outfits displayed upstairs. The table decorations were very nice and tasteful. They served punch, mints, cookies and cupcakes to everyone. It was obvious the committee had worked very hard on this event. I had a lot of fun participating and am pleased that I accepted the invitation. There were a great group of 'models' downstairs and lots of good helpers.
I had pretty big hair in junior high and high school. Perms were all the rage, and I had lots of curls. Sometimes I miss big hair. I always say that I hope some day big hair comes back, but not the I'm-going-to-exaggerate-this-style-just-a-little-bit big.



3 comments:
Your "Lady Mary" look was my favorite, just perfect!
I love this so much!!! Wish I could've been there to see it in person. What did TR think of your 8x10? LOL!
These are great!!!! You sooooo look the part.
Post a Comment