Thursday, May 29, 2014

Colored Pens

Funny, sometimes out of nowhere I get an idea about something to write.  Today is just an example of that. (And don't set yourself up for something amazing here, this one is pretty simple.)

I do a lot of proofreading with my job.  I have found that after making the correction on the paper, I need to circle it so I catch it when I'm flipping through my rough draft and making the noted changes on the computer.  But even circling it isn't always enough.  Sometimes I have to open my drawer and pull out the magic red pen.  Like today.

As I reached for my red pen, I was reminded of grade school and how much I loved those red pens the teachers used.  There were a couple teachers that would let us grade papers and use their red pen. I felt so special.  I loved pretending to be a teacher and making huge markings at the top of the page. Like an E or E+ with a big red circle...or an A+++++ for Ralphie (cue scene from Christmas Story).  You know what I'm talking about.

I prefer to use blue ink pens at work and when signing things so I can tell if it's an original.  I know that there are some that think colored ink is unprofessional, but seriously, there are times I have to hold a document up to the light to try to decide if it is a photocopy or an original.  It is so much easier when it's signed in blue.

The very first state's attorney I worked with in Lawrenceville was a little very disorganized.  He couldn't walk into the courtroom one time and be ready to go, it would take at least two or three trips for him to actually sit down and begin. Only to realize he had forgotten a writing utensil.  And then he would take mine.  (I often joked about putting a shock collar on him, with my hand on the remote.)

Although I do a majority of my note taking on my stenographic writer, I still make handwritten notes on my docket sheet to help me remember important points, or in case someone (like a very disorganized state's attorney) asks me an hour later what we did with so and so.  I need my pen.  I also bought all of my own supplies at that courthouse, including my ink pens.  I didn't appreciate providing ink pens for someone who had his own office budget.

I've been known to be a smarty pants a time or two (or ten thousand), and I came up with the perfect plan to fix Mr. C. and his pen-snatching ways.  I got colored pens.  I had red, purple, pink, green...and I don't just mean on the outside.  I mean the ink was colored.  It worked perfectly.  I pretty much cured him and anyone else from 'borrowing' my ink pens.  Not too many 'professional' men want to write in pink or purple ink :)

Colored pens, what a great invention.  And with that being said, I better get back to proofreading with my bright red ink pen!


No comments: