Some day we would like to add a screened-in porch to the back of our house and we don't want to do anything back there right now that would interfere with that future plan. (Future in our world can mean anywhere from one hour to twenty years.)
One Saturday in June, Jay and I worked all day long on these steps. All day long. It was a very long, hot and exhausting day. And by the end of that day we were both completely spent...totally dead on our feet. We practically had to crawl in the house. We kept laughing because we were so pitiful...and the next morning we were heading to Holiday World. YIKES! We must be getting old or something. The sad part was even though we had worked hard all day, we were only halfway done! It took a couple more half days to wrap it up.
![]() |
| Before deck stain |
As you can see from the picture, all that area of dirt is where the old deck was, it was pretty big. It took most of the summer, but we finally finished those temporary steps. And after finding several excuses not to, I got two coats of deck stain on them. Now, we need to get a couple sections of white siding to replace the areas that were ruined from the old deck...and a piece Lane wiped out with the tractor bucket. (Someone let the 9-year-old work the tractor and bucket on this project...)
We ordered up a load of rock to match the other landscaping rock and Jay has put it in line with the sidewalks to create walkways. I found this simple idea on Pinterest for deck board steps that I plan to use on the rock paths to meet up with the concrete sidewalks already in place. As I have found with Pinterest, often things that look simple...are not. We shall see. Then we're going to move the plants that I had in a little garden around the old deck and we'll sow some grass seed in the rest of the dirt areas.
![]() |
| Surprise tomato plant! |
I can't wait until grass is growing thick in the dirt areas...that will complete the project...of course then we'll have to figure out how to mow it. And we don't own a push mower. Hmm...


1 comment:
The steps look really nice! And bonus on the "suprises" too. I love when stuff like that happens.
Post a Comment