Friday, August 30, 2013

It's too late...

Now concerning how and when all this will happen, dear brothers and sisters, we don't really need to write you.  For you know quite well that the day of the Lord's return will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night.  1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 (NLT)

At church camp we sing this song called the "Shark Song" and one part of it goes, "It's too late, do-do, do-do-do-do, It's too late, do-do, do-do-do-do, It's too late, do-do, do-do-do-do, It's too late."  That's what I said to myself when I went to retrieve the grape bunches from my grapevine.

This spring as I was on an early-morning walk, I was pleasantly surprised by the eight bunches of green grapes on my grapevine. The Quack momma had given me a couple fruit vines/plants a few years ago for my birthday.  We planted them halfway up our driveway under these two posts with a cross-post, thinking if they live, they can crawl on the post.  Perfect.  And then nothing...

I finally decided none of them had lived, which wouldn't have been too shocking because I did absolutely NOTHING to them after Jay planted them there.  So to see those grapes growing this spring was so awesome.  I was tickled to death.  I took this picture and posted it on Facebook.



Every morning since then, I have watched and waited for those beauties to ripen.  About two weeks ago, I grabbed one and ate it.  It was still a little tart, but it had softened quite a bit.  I told Jay that sometime the following week, I probably needed to get them...

And then two days ago, as I was driving up the lane, I noticed the grapevine leaves were kind of strung out everywhere, not lying in their position across the post...and upon closer inspection, I saw that all eight bunches of grapes were MIA.

I quizzed both children...nope.  Jay...nope.  Bummer. I can only assume that the deer or the raccoons enjoyed their sweetness.  That's what I get for putting off today what I can do tomorrow...

It's the same with making the commitment to Christ.  Tomorrow may not come.  Today is the day.  Accept Christ in your heart....before it's too late, do-do, do-do-do-do...

No comments: