Their car didn't have the dark-colored top. I think it was all white, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I was fortunate enough (see how I look at things) to have people around me kind enough to let me borrow their automobiles because I didn't have my own when I turned 16. Lucky for me, my brother was a work-horse and owned a car and a truck. Between my brother, my parents and my grandparent's Boat, I didn't suffer too much.
During my senior year of high school, I took to driving The Boat whenever I had to and it became kind of fun(ny). When it snowed, we would call it the Snowmobile because we thought it just blended right into the snow. The interior was all...drumroll...burgundy. The shocks on that thing were amazing. There were times if you slammed on the brakes, you just knew the frame was going to keep on going. There was so much bounce.
It is tradition that at the end of the school year, the senior class goes to Moonshine for lunch. My senior year we took The Boat to Moonshine. We piled in that thing and headed south. (Those were the days when there weren't all of these seatbelt laws.) I know that our senior class sponsors went, but I can't seem to recall if Mrs. C. rode with us or someone else. (Anyone remember?) Others were driving down, our class was small...but not small enough to fit everyone in that enormous battleship of a car.
We took a couple side roads for fun and bounced all over the place. Although I never hit anything with it (amazing) I swear even if I had, you wouldn't notice. The metal on that thing went for miles. It is the perfect car for a teenager. Big and safe.
There were many years I was embarrassed of that car until I decided to embrace it. Remember that, my dear Madolyn. May you embrace whatever you may be allowed to drive when you're 16 ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment