Wednesday, January 23, 2013

How 'bout a little enthusiasm?

Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.  Ephesians 6:7 (NLT)

I copied the following definitions from the online Merriam-Webster website:
Excitement:  1, something that excites or rouses; 2, the action of exciting: the state of being excited
Enthusiasm:  strong excitement of feeling

I cannot help myself at times because I get so excited.  For instance, when the Bluestreaks win, I get excited.  I'm overwhelmed with enthusiasm.  I want to burst...

And then I look around me.  I am one of a few standing and clapping.  There is very little enthusiasm.  In fact, there is almost none.  I look down at the volleyball court.  The girls are semi-happy.  Are they afraid to show excitement and enthusiasm?  Are we at a funeral?  Did someone just pass and I missed it?

With our cheerleaders at our basketball games, it is sad, but we have to prompt them to show excitement.  We have to tell them, "Hey, we just scored, we're winning, ACT excited!"  I can't tell you how many times we have said things like, "You are cheerleaders, this is your job."  "Cheerleaders, it's okay to yell and be silly about the fact we're winning or that we just won.  That is what you're supposed to do."  Ahhh, I do not get it.

When our junior high basketball team comes out of the locker room, they don't even run anymore without the coach running up behind them telling them to run out.  Why should they?  Does anyone even notice?  It's silent.  No one is standing and clapping.  We sit there.  Yes, our high school basketball team consists of seven boys in total.  Seven out of four grades.  Okay, that is sad.  So how do we encourage boys to come out and play?  When we were in junior high, we went to the state tournament both years in basketball with seven players or less.  We don't need huge numbers to play basketball, we need desire, ambition, and a little enthusiasm.

Right now our little school is lacking something major, something that is so vital to growth and the desire to succeed.  I believe it is enthusiasm...and some ambition.  I'm not sure how we force it back in.  Enthusiasm is contagious like a cancer or a forest fire that spreads...so it has to start somewhere. 

Our town has this great new group, Martinsville on the Move.  They are motivating people, building up community pride, encouraging citizens to work together to make things better.  How do we get this to spread throughout our school system?  We have to reach the parents and teachers.  We must somehow get parents excited and enthused...which will spill over into their children, our future.  Teachers need to be encouraged in their roles as well.  When was the last time you encouraged your child's teacher?

People, parents, grandparents, citizens, you must come to the ball games and support these kids.  They are practicing every night there isn't a game, they are giving up their evenings on game days, they are working to keep their grades up, they are staying out of trouble.  Isn't this what we want for them?  Show them support.  Applaud them for their efforts, win or lose.  Be in the crowd.  Yes, it gets to be a lot sometimes, I understand that.  So go to the home games and then pick the closest away games.  Just go.  Your television will be there when you return.

I'm not just talking about athletic events either. I'm talking about the desire to do better with schoolwork, the desire to pursue something beyond just getting by, the ambition it takes to define a goal and then go for it.  I love my little town and am perfectly happy living here.  I was okay with not leaving for bigger and better things.  But that is me.  Someone has to move on (or we will be a big city, ugh) and go for it.  Dream big.  Pursue something that may seem out of reach. Encourage a child to work towards their goal.

I hear people say it's just not like the old days, it's no fun anymore.  Okay, then do something to get it back there.  It's not going to improve on its own.  Get excited and show it.  You may look a little crazy at the beginning, but it will catch on (and I could use some company). 

Those of you working with churches and youth groups, you must have students in your circle. Support their activities. Go to their band concerts, their musicals, their games. Who doesn't like encouragement and support? We all want to do better when people we look up to are supporting us. 

Are you showing enthusiasm and excitement today in whatever it is you're doing?  To my friends, Bluestreaks or not, work with enthusiasm as if you're working for the Lord today. 

If you need a copy of the Martinsville school schedule, go to the school's website http://www.martinsville.k12.il.us/ and click on Unit Office, District Calendar and then pick the month you want to look at.  They are pretty good about posting all the school activities.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Here, here!! I am applauding you and this viewpoint! And quite enthusiastically, I might add. ;-)