Thursday, January 17, 2013

An honest effort

I've said it for years, maybe for my entire life:  I hate running and the only reason I would run is if someone was after me with a knife.  After all, running from someone with a gun is pointless; a knife, on the other hand...  Anyway...

Jay has taken up running again, after a successful reconstruction of his ankle (although now he really needs the other one done), and when I was watching him complete his first 10k last October, it hit me how much he really loved it, and how I wish I would love it too because we could do this together, but there was no way I could because I hated running.

For the past several years I have helped organize a 5k at our local fair and just this December I organized one to be held in conjunction with our Hometown Christmas.  I don't know why it took me until the one in December to realize this, but as I was watching people run past me at the start/finish line, in various stages of exertion, I thought, "I can so do this."

So as the new year came upon me, as well as a few extra pounds, and some wardrobe issues, I knew I needed to do something.  It dawned on me that I have really never given running an honest effort.  I have tried on my walks to run a few poles at a time, didn't like all the jiggling going on, got mad at myself, and decided it wasn't for me...because, after all, I hated running. 

A couple years ago, Jay had me doing some program where we had to run sprints down the driveway in a certain pattern or something (ridiculous) and I hated every minute of it so it lasted about a week, maybe.  I've always enjoyed walking and still do.  I never dread going for a walk (except when there are five dogs with me, circling, tripping me up, crossing in front of me, etc).  It is relaxing, soothing and peaceful most of the time.

January 1, 2013, I began the "Couch to 5k" program.  It is designed for people just like me.  I loved reading at the very beginning how most people get burn out or injured because they push too hard too fast.  Hey, I'm all about going slow...so I'm sticking with the program to the T. Even though the first week's workout seemed very simple, I did it and did not run ten seconds further than I was supposed to.  I did walk on my off days though but felt like that wasn't detrimental because I already try to walk daily anyway. 

I have finished my second week of work-outs and have completed work-out one of week three.  I'm still alive.  Haven't had any injuries or ill-effects so far.  Amazingly, it hasn't been that bad.  I can still read on my Nook as I walk/jog in the intervals which makes the time fly by.  I suppose once I start longer stretches of the jogging, I may not be able to focus enough to read, but so far so good.  And you burn so many more calories (yes, Jay, I know, you've been telling me that for years), which is great for me since I absolutely love food.

The other night when I was on the treadmill jogging, my coach (aka Jay) said I had "good form."  I suppose that is a good thing, and I was happy to hear that...(unless he was just trying to think of something nice to say and that was all he came up with.)   Oh well, regardless, I accepted it.   I guess I'm doing something right.  So now when I jog, I think, "Oh yeah, I have good form if I do say so myself."  Ha. 

I will forge ahead with the program in good form, and no matter what happens down the road with the Couch to 5k and running, this time I can say that I gave it an honest effort.