Monday, January 21, 2013

I thought I looked good

Little flashback for you...Anyone out there remember the era of Sally Jesse Raphael and her humongous red glasses? 


I certainly do and I thought they were great!  So great that in Junior High, I ordered myself not a red pair of Sally Jesse Raphael glasses, but a pearl white pair.  Oh yeah, I was awesome.  I couldn't find a picture online of a white pair...so just imagine for a moment these large optical enhancers in pearl white.  Ahh, yes...

I thought I looked soooo good in those specs.  The first pair I had (oh, yes, there were a few) my BFF I call "Susan" sat on them.  To this day we tease each other about it being on purpose.  Perhaps she was trying to do me a favor...only I didn't get it because, as I said, I thought I looked good and I convinced my mom to order another pair.

I think what really made them shine was my dark hair.  Back then the whole idea was the bigger the better.  You know how big hair styles got...loved that as well!  Glasses went big too.  I wish I could figure out how to get a good picture of me wearing my white glasses on here because I wore them in my school picture and it is in the year book.  One of those priceless shots, you know.

I should've known maybe they weren't all that cool because usually when things are cool and people really like them, more of them surface.  I do not recall anyone, anywhere, ever, sporting a pair of white Sally Jesse Raphael glasses.  Hmm.  I guess at the time it didn't bother me...because I thought I looked good.  I see now that maybe I looked a little silly, but I must admit they were unforgettable.

To this day it is one of those subjects that still comes up, usually prompted by my hubby because he gets a real kick out of making fun of those white glasses.  And that is usually when I mention that the Kirk Cameron era of boys with perms was right about that time.  He may not have had a full perm (like my bro), but he had one in the back...because he thought he looked good.

Oh, how we were both stylin' back then...

No comments: