Thursday, December 13, 2012

Here's to Scottie!

I'm a junkie.  Anyone that knows me knows that I love sugar, chocolate, butter, bread, brown sugar, and did I mention chocolate?  I'm always excited when Easter rolls around because the Cadbury Creme Eggs come out.  It's automatically a pass to eat as many of them as I can because, as you know, they don't come out again until the NEXT Easter and that's like, twelve whole months.

One of my favorite treats around Christmas is the chocolate-covered cherry.  I have found that you either like them or you don't.  Seems like most people don't care for them, but I love them.  And I have also learned, in my many years of taste-testing, that not all chocolate-covered cherries are created equal.  You must get the good kind, and honestly I can't tell you what brand I like best, but I go by the box and the packaging.  Usually you can't go wrong with Brach's, Cella's or Queen Anne's.  Thankfully, they're cheap too.



Much to my delight, they sell them individually-wrapped also, which somehow justifies me eating one every time I'm at the Dollar store. But today, while on my lunch hour, I bought my first box of chocolate-covered cherries. I quickly gobbled down two of them on the ride back to work and will keep on gobbling until they're gone.

I have found another justification for eating so many chocolate-covered cherries: (a) it's a fruit, and (b) it's chocolate.  Chocolate is good for you, right, and of course, fruit is.  The combination of the two is simply a masterpiece!

I could always count on my Grandpa (Scottie) Lynch to have a box of chocolate-covered cherries around the holidays AND to share them with me.  We enjoyed many together in the last few years of his life.  It was a great excuse for me to buy the first box, and then another one and another one.

So as I enjoy my first box of the season,  here's to Scottie!

No comments: